RF Deadzone

I am trying to implement a wireless network in what seems to be a rf deadzone. I have tried different products, linksys, SMC, Apple Xtreme, high gain antenna, with no luck. The building has many walls with steel beams inside. I cannot even get a signal if in the same room as the access point. We have microwaves and cordless 2.4 Ghz devices but they cannot be moved. I am looking for any advice that anyone has to get this to work including product recommendations. Has anyone else overcome this problem? I am open to trying anything.

Thank you

Reply to
cstefanyshin
Loading thread data ...

Steel beams are not a problem. The 2.4Ghz will go between the beams quite nicely. You may get reflections and multipath, but you will have a signal. I notice your description is devoid of any numbers. Let's try to fill in the details and numbers first:

- What is in between the stell beams?

- How many walls are you trying to shoot through?

- What's the distance between the access point and the dead zone?

- How high a gain antenna did you try? What type?

- What does the 2.4GHz cordless phones have to do with anything?

- Did you try it with the cordless phones turned off?

- Is there any other sources of possible interference in the area?

I had one client trying to make wireless work in a cafeteria full of microwave ovens. Couldn't be done. Another was located right next to the city's new overpowered municipal mesh wireless contrivance. It may not be a shielding issue but may be interference.

I can't really recommend any solutions because I have no clue what you're working with, what you're trying to accomplish (i.e. performance and coverage expectations), what client radios are involved, and what options are available for change.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.