Home automation newbie questions

I've been googling home automation today and came across X-10, eventually leading to this newsgroup. I've always been interested in home automation, ultimately wanting to be able to use my PC to remotely turn lights etc. on and off. Now that my semi rural area finally has reliable high speed internet and I can start/stop my pc's remotely with WOL it appears that this could soon be a reality.

But since it's best to start out with "baby steps", this is what I want to do first:

We've recently moved our teenage son to a bedroom in the basement. This means he is now 2 stories below our bedroom. Being a typical teenage boy he doesnt alway turn the lights out and computer/tv/stereo off when he is supposed to, I already have internet access restrictions via my router, but I want to be able to turn off the power to certain outlets at a set time (or whenever I want) without going to the junction box and shutting off the basement breaker (which would also shut off my freezers). At this point I don't care if I can do it with a pc or not. Ideally it would be timed for something like 10pm, but manually would be fine too.

What do I need to get started? Do I need to replace all the outlets that I want to control with x10 units? For this first step I am looking at about 6-9 outlets, as well as ceiling light fixtures.

I also have a pump in my basement that supplies water to the house, and I always turn it off when leaving the house for the weekend etc. This involves going to the pump itself and turning off a light-switch located on the wall beside it. Ideally I'd like to have the switch located by the main door so I can just turn it on/off as I'm leaving/arriving, but having the ability to do it remotely would be real cool for letting neighbors come over and water plants etc. I'm assuming x10 technology would also work very well here too.

Should I start replacing all my plugs/switches etc with x-10 enabled ones?

thanks!

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

Normally, when someone is just starting out, I recommend looking at Insteon because it promises to be more reliable. However, I don't think Insteon makes any switched outlets so you either have to go with X-10 or use an Insteon inline relay to control an outlet which complicates matters.

Make sure you get modules with both outlets X-10 controlled as some teenagers may be smart enough to figure out they only need to plug the TV into the uncontrolled socket to avoid curfew while the really bright ones will figure out that they merely need to change the address settings on the outlet(s). (Insteon is better in this regard as every device has a unique factory-set ID.)

formatting link
You'll need to replace each outlet that you wish to control and the switches for any lights you want to control. I suggest starting with only a few to get a feel for what's involved. That way, should you decide to go another way, you haven't wasted a lot of money and effort.

If you replace the water pump switch, you can use an RF transceiver (I suggest the Leviton HCPRF.) and handheld remotes or Stick-a-Switches to turn it on/off.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
I've been googling home automation today and came across X-10,

Reply to
Dave Houston

That should have read...

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks! thats good info - doesnt sound like this will be a real costly outlay to get started anyway! And from what I have read once the hardware is in place, controlling from a pc is a relatively simple process. Hopefully I can find a canadian supplier to..

Reply to
GS

Make sure you buy NON-DIMMING outlets or wall switches, such as the SR227 or WS13A, respectively. You'll have lots less problems that way.

Even so, you might encounter some quirks, as these devices probably are still sending a sensor current out on the line, in an attempt to detect when you turn the plugged-in device on with its own switch.

This sensor current can cause strange behavior, such as a faint flickering when a compact flourescent is plugged in to an X-10 circuit that's supposed to be turned off. There are directions on the 'net, explaining how to defeat the sensor circuit, but I've never tried it.

Reply to
NoSuchPerson

Not sure of how secure you want this to be. ie: do you care if your son turns everything back on after you have turned it off?

It would be easy for him to go to RadioShack and buy a cheap remote that will also control the outlets.

If you just want to shut things off that are accidentaly left on or want to give him a hint by shutting things off at the set time, then this would work well.

For simple timing, you don't even need to connect a computer. There are timers that can do that without the computer being in the equation.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

As someone else has already said, I would do a couple and see if you like it.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

As I understand it, dimming a standard receptacle would be a violation of the US National Electrical code 110-3(B)+ 404.14(E) and bad practice to boot (Note: I copied this citation from a previous c.h.a post of mine -- and I don't entirely trust them ol' usenet posts --even my own ;-)

And ABIK, there has never been an X-10 duplex outlet (or A-10 or Z-wave or Zigbee or INSTEON) that "dims".

The only code-compliant solution I know of for a "dimmed outlet" is a Lutron solution that uses non-standard (non-Edison) plugs and sockets.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.