Need replacement for model CP290 X10 home automation system standalone controller

Seeking suggestions for a cost effective replacememant for a dead CP290 home automation controller

The CP290 X10 home automation system controller is a STANDALONE device. It is programmed using a PC o MAC personal comuter via a serial port, removed from the serial port and functions as a standalone (no PC or MAC required) X10 contrroller.

Standard CP290 features include:

Turning on and off modules immediately, including turning them on dimmed; Defining "turn on" and "turn off" events to be stored in the CP290 and executed by the CP290 even if the Macintosh is shut down. Such events include: Turning a module on or off once at the specified time today; Turning a module on or off once at the specified time tomorrow; Turning a module on or off every week at the specified time and day(s) of the week; Turning a module on or off every week within an hour of the specified time and day(s) of the week; (security mode).

The CP290 is a old but very useful device which is not longer maufactured.

Reply to
Trtlservices
Loading thread data ...

I'm using the Smarthome 1132cu. I've had it for years. The included software is kind of lame, but it works. The Plus software give more flexibility but costs about $70. Now, Smarthome has decided NOT to support this product even though they continue to sell it!!!! The one big problem is the Daylight Savings Time, date change a few years back. This doesn't work. So, you have to do a work around by manually making a change with each spring forward and fall back thing. Not too bad but it still irritates me that they keep reaping profits for a crippled product. I guess I don't know about the product they are selling today. Anyway, even with the irritations, it works pretty good for me.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Hm, I'm surprised anybody still needs these controllers. I still got one that I decomissioned a couple years ago when I upgraded to CM15A. The old one is in perfect working order and would gladly sell it directly to someone, so I don't have to bother with ebay. But who would be willing to start such a transaction with a stranger without a garanteed exchange?

Reply to
Rover

Rover, you bring back memories! I remember buying a synthesizer via a newsgroup, by just sending the person a check. Miraculously, the synth appeared on my doorstep in said condition. I did this several times and really had no problems. Wow, what we did before ebay. BTW, I too have a CP290 somewhere, but I haven't seen it since I moved 3 years ago. I know I didn't dump it. I think it must be in a Halloween box as I used to use it to control some mechanical scary stuff on the front lawn.

Reply to
Art Todesco

They need a real clock.

4-5 minutes per day of inaccuracy is what I remember.

--------

"Art Todesco" wrote in message news:jmrkmd$4hd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me... Rover, you bring back memories! I remember buying a synthesizer via a newsgroup, by just sending the person a check. Miraculously, the synth appeared on my doorstep in said condition. I did this several times and really had no problems. Wow, what we did before ebay. BTW, I too have a CP290 somewhere, but I haven't seen it since I moved 3 years ago. I know I didn't dump it. I think it must be in a Halloween box as I used to use it to control some mechanical scary stuff on the front lawn.

Reply to
Josepi

I don't think mine was ever off that much, however, I do remember something about disconnecting the serial cable from the CP290 when not in use. Or was that a different controller? Anyway, the unconnected cord, or antenna, as it was, would bring in all kind of erroneous data and mess with the clock.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I remember mine plugging directly into the CoCo computer as a game cartridge.

hmmmmmm... been awhile now.

I don't think mine was ever off that much, however, I do remember something about disconnecting the serial cable from the CP290 when not in use. Or was that a different controller? Anyway, the unconnected cord, or antenna, as it was, would bring in all kind of erroneous data and mess with the clock.

Reply to
Josepi

I have a working CP290 I removed from a vacation home. Could sell for $30, include free regular shipping to US/Canada. Let me know if you have any interest, by contacting me -- respond to craiglist advertisement -- google: lynchburg craigslist CP290. Payment can be made via Paypal.

Thanks! Julia

Reply to
julia

I would guess that if the failure of your current CP

-290 device was not caused by being hit by something b ad like lightening that you have a case of dead filter capacitors in the CP-290 power supply.

I have never opened mine so I can't say how involved replacement might be but that's the first thing I would try.

It's hard to find people who know how to fix stuff in our "throw away" world.

I would really hate to have my CP-290 die. There's no standalone devices like it. I use software written several years ago by a guy named Rafiel Fiol. Haven't been able to find him.

my cp-290 CLOCK IS STABLE. eVERYTIME YOU CHECK IT WITH THE SOFTWARE THE CLOCK UPDATES TO THE TIME IN YOUR COMPUTER.

tHE SERIAL CONTROL NEED NOT BE DISCONNECTED FOR THE cp-290 TO WORK PROPERLY. tHESE DAYS pc'S DON'T HAVE rs-232 PORTS AND YOU'D NEED A usb TO SERIAL CONVERTER.

Reply to
mikeflood35

This equipment is trash, grow up

Reply to
chbnovember

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 2:31:23 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

I assume everyone realizes that this thread is more than four years old. We can only hope that the OP has solved his problem. My X10 system has been h as been rock solid and growing since 1979, with only minor tweaks to correc t problems caused by noise from switching power supplies and CFLs and signa ls lost to surge protectors. I retired my CP290 this year (in working order and kept as backup) in favor of a home-brew system running on a Raspberry Pi. I may be old-school, but I hate to see this technology not get the resp ect it deserves.

Reply to
Mike Bell

I started with X-10 about the same time as you and have gone through the same issues. I finally retired all my X-10 this year and now use Wemo's with an Amazon Echo. I now have two fairly large boxes of X-10 equipment - most of it still working. I hate to see working electronics in landfills. There are many lamp modules, appliance modules, wall switches of various types, RF interfaces, CP290's (2 of them), a 1132U USB interface, maxi controllers, filters, and a XTB repeater. Anyone interested? (NE Ohio area)

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Do you still have the x10 equipment for sale?

Reply to
leewilkerson77

Yes, I do.

Reply to
Pat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.