Full Web-Interface Controller?

I have been running HAL2000 (deluxe) PC automation software for several years now. I would like to switch to an automation/X10 controller which is programmable but standalone (does not require PC running).

My preference is a full web-interface 2-way X10 controller, similar to a wireless access point, where you have the option to operate the functions from any browser, but can only program via SNMP utility or USB. Connections on this box would be power, RJ-45 for network, powerline interface for X10, and optional USB. I have been trying to find a product like this for quite some time, but have been unsuccessful. It seems that the shift to web-interface hardware shold have included an automation device by now - something a bit lighter than a full HAI Omni-type system. Any suggestions or ideas?

Reply to
recneps
Loading thread data ...

I don't think you'll find any "ready-out-of-the-box" device that can do this. There was one device but it disappeared so quickly that its name hasn't stuck in my mind.

It's easy enough to do (and cheap if you eliminate USB) using a 5V embedded PC, available from under $100 to several hundred dollars depending on CPU, speed and features. The picoFlash from JK Microsystems is inexpensive and has plenty of power for this but you'd have to write your own software to interface with something like a CM11A to do X-10. You could also do it using an xPort (Lantastic), a microcontroller (e.g. PIC) and CM11A but the cost would be about the same and you'd have far less versatility and power.

formatting link
It's unlikely you'll be able to do voice c>I have been running HAL2000 (deluxe) PC automation software for several

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dear Sir:

I am working on one of such product and intent to have beta release for the period between Jan-2006 to June-2006. The release system will include:

1. Caller ID module
  2. Light control module
  3. Irrigation control module
  4. HVAC control module
  5. Weather forecast module
  6. News module

-> All will be controlled through Web-interface

-> Light/Irrigation/HVAC is schedulable

Here is the rough schedule:

1. 01/06 - 06/06 : Beta testing
  2. 07/06 - 12/06 : Release first product
  3. 01/07 - 12/07 : Phrase 2 + Security Module + Fire_Smoke Alarm Module + Visual Module + Entertainment module + Support muli-language (English/French/Vietnamese)
  4. 01/08 - 12/08 : API/Communication protocol (allow 3rd party to tap into the controller to write their own application (or enhance their application to tap into our controller)

Word of warning: the system is not very cheap (couple grands) but the first 10 beta-tester will receive significant price-reduction offer.

If you want to be notified when product is available then send me email with your email address. Please note that I neither launch an official web-site nor open a company yet but by this Christmas everything should be in place.

Thanks and Regards,

Khue Pham

Dave Houst> I don't think you'll find any "ready-out-of-the-box" device that can do

Reply to
khuedinhpham

You have no idea how important it is for my HA system to be able to respond to me in Vietnamese. I could move into a tigert cage in the backyard and generate post-traumatic stress disorder flashbacks all day long! I'm sure Sen. McCain would want one, too.

Word of caution: You've got an *awful* lot of much cheaper competition with a much better track record. What are you offering that's unique?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Dude, that's just rude. Don't be an ass.

Reply to
wkearney99

Thanks for your word of caution. Competition is always there for any existing product. Product differentiation can be in many different forms and not neccessary to be completedly new feature to make it difference(especially in HA where most if not all features are already implemented). For instance, if you take a look at RIM blackberry. Wireless messaging is already in the market in form of paging. The only differentiation between a pager and a RIM Blackberry device (couple years ago when they first become famous) is that the Blackberry is a two ways paging and its famous catch-phrase buzz-word "always on". Technically, it is not hard to do so with 2-way paging (client-server interchange roles) or "always on" (if you know enough about polling/pushing concept in computing world) but RIM marketing knows how to make it catch-on with the world. The point here is: Product differentiation can be in many forms, optimizing product features can make your product differs from your competitors. My product is still under development and testing so I can't tell you what mine is differ from others. I choose to reply for the original post since it asked for a product that is RJ-45 ready and with Web-interface. Mine is one of those.

For the rest of your comment about the language, I guess it is some form of ... freedom of expression. So I have no comment back. BTW, my mother happens to speak Vietnamese, so to honor my mother-tongue it would not hurt to include Vietnamese language into the support language. I have nothing to go against anyone since everyone can be my potential customer someday in the future. In many cases, the one who puts the hardest critics turns out be the most supportive later.

In movie "Twin" (starred by the current Cali. governor Arnold and Danny DeVito), the short man once said "The choice you make dictates the way you live". Hope that everyone makes good choice for his/her life.

Robert Green wrote:

Reply to
khuedinhpham

No, it was just a stupid mistake on my part. Please accept my apologies.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Actually, I'm not looking for voice control (recognition). For me, and probably a lot of people less technically-oriented than me, voice control was nothing more than a shiny, unnecessary option. The VR engine in HAL has a little to be desired in the filtering of background noise, anyway.

Needed:

2-way X10 interface Web-server PC-programming 'Nice-to-have': Telephone interface Support for other automation peripherals (weather stations, thermostats, etc)

I found something here:

formatting link
much info, a little pricey, but looks to be in the direction that I am searching. Does anyone know anything about dataprobe.com?

recneps

Reply to
recneps

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.