Leviton Intellisense Vs Others

Check out

formatting link
. In comparing that to what Insteon modules are available at smarthome, they have quite a few more devices. Most notable is the duplex outlet, I/O module, and the wide selection of configuration of switches / keypads (1,2,3, and 4 paddle switches, many configurations of 4 & 8 button keypads). And that's just one manufacturer.

To answer "Gymfolks" question, I prefer the HAI switches as they have a more solid feel, and don't have the "click" sound when pressed (much quieter), but are not "mushy" like some of the old X-10 switches. And yes, all of the UPB devices work with each other across manufacturers.

However, UPB is somewhat more expensive. Comparing apples to apples, a 600W Insteon SwitchLinc dimming decora switch $40 from Smarthome, and a HAI UPB switch is $52 from Worthington.

The main reason I chose UPB over Insteon is the seamless integration w/ HAI's OmniProII security/automation panel. The configurability of these devices are amazing as well. From UpStart, you can configure all of the scenes of course, but you can also configure things like the LED color, ramp rates, and discrete actions for single- and double-clicks on each button/paddle end.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney
Loading thread data ...

2-3X the price is a bit of a stretch. Some quick comparisons: 600W decora dimmer (full # of scenes, full capability switch): Smarthome Insteon: $40 Worthington HAI: $52

Lamp plugin module: Smarthome Insteon: $30 Worthington Simply Automated: $56

Keypad: Smarthome Insteon: $60 Worthington Simply Automated: $79

Network reliability: Smarthome 2-pack SignalLink RF (recommended for all installations): $70 Worthington Simply Automated coupler: $53

The only one that comes close to 2X is the lamp plugin module. Certainly not 3X. However, if Insteon seamlessly integrated with HAI's OmniPro panels like UPB does (the biggest plus for me, personally), I would probably use Insteon as well.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

Here is a list of *other* modules that Insteon is missing vs. Simply Automated:

Wire-in dimming module Wire-in relay module Duplex outlet receptacle

2-paddle decora switch 3-paddle decora switch 4-paddle decora switch 4-button controller (2 styles available) 4-button, plus one paddle combo switch (2 styles available)

And that's just one manufacturer. There's also HAI, PCS, and Web Mountain that I know of.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

They now sell the Icon line at $20 (US), I don't know if this is a promotional price or therir reqular price. Just to note, the Icon line looses some of th features of their regular line. It's not an apples to apples comparison but sometimes people will jump to a lower price and don't mind loosing a few features. Which is why we have X10 lasting as long as they have.

A word of caution here, theses two are not apples to apples either. My understanding is the the coupler is passive. At least one user shared his opinion of the coupler and in his instance it was lacking. BTW, if I have the wrong product please let me know. I'll be sticking with Insteon because that's what I started with.

It looks like we'll see a little competition in the HA market. I hope this works out for the consumers.Since X10 had no real competition they didn't have to change (my opinion), now I won't have to think about them. ;-)

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Thanks Dave, that -10 really hurts, ouch!

BTW, still working with Insteon on the license. Hopefully we can make a dent.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

I'd really like to see those in Insteon.

OK, that's just weird! ;-) 2 side-by-side would be annoying. Actually it looks like it does a goo job of saving space but they really look odd. Not sure how my wife would react (SAF=?).

I think the push button style would be acceptable to her.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

A rats nest of wires from the module to the switches and devices it interfaces with will not meet with approval.

As I suggested earlier, they should allow anyone to say their product works with Insteon but only allow those who submit to their testing to use an "Insteon Certified" logo. HomePlug does it that way and some big names have foregone the "HomePlug Certified" logo.

Or I could just get another starter kit and a $20 Radiometrix programmable RF module - then reverse engineer and publish the protocol. ;)

Reply to
Dave Houston

I think they really mean it to be that way as my software will not be certified and they were only worried about me using their name in my software title. Origianally it was called insteond but I've since renamed it iplcd. I'll try talk to them about that.

Never underestimate the abilities of a person who can think backwards! ;-)

Reply to
Neil Cherry

The controller issue has been the main reason I have stayed away from Zigbee/Z-Wave/Insteon. I want the HAI or HAI like functionality. So far I have been able to keep X-10 working, but its getting harder as the years go by. I am looking at UPB, though would prefer Zwave or other RF based propagation to avoid all the issues associated with PLC

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Tom Jacobsen

Go to

formatting link
and in the "keyword" box enter Insteon and you'll be taken to the Insteon page where you can place online orders. It isn't sold in the stores yet - just via the web. No ZIP code needs to be entered.

Reply to
BruceR

Doesn't work for me, I just get an error page.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Works for me.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Stupid H.D. I just switched my User Agent to IE 6 XP and it works. Under FF with the FF UA it gives an error (Linux or Windows).

Reply to
Neil Cherry

There is something strange about their site. When I responded earlier I want to include the link I copied from the HD Insteon page but after I tried it it took me to a completely unrelated page. Glad you found it though.

Reply to
BruceR

That's odd. IE and FF work here under XP and W98SE.

Reply to
Dave Houston

In a lot of new homes I've seen the wet wall is insulated to attenuate sound from the pipes. If you have access during construction you can do a few thing yourself. Sound proof studios for audio recording employ double sheet rock walls, separated by a layer of high density foam. You can get almost as good results by installing thin fiberglass insulation batts against the back side of the sheet rock between the studs. Sandwich these with a layer of 5/8" sheet rock. It's a PITA cutting and inserting the sheet rock between the studs but the difference is significant.

I did much the same thing in the ceiling of my basement level home theater room some years ago. It almost completely eliminated noise in the living room above.

True. Also use screws instead of nails for the cross-braces between the joists.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm running FF 1.5, What version are you using?

Reply to
Neil Cherry

I'm also running FF 1.5. Could it be your security settings. Their search does use scripting.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I think I'm loosing my mind! If I go to the home page (no Javascript in any of this) I get the page of links (no pictures etc) and I can't search. If I select a link (I tried electrical and cleaning) after I get to that page I can search for insteon.

Main link:

formatting link
Electrical link:
formatting link
Who ever wrote the front page app has something in there that messes up the search. At least that's solved from my point of view. BTW, thanks for the help! :-) I hate when things are broke.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.