How to connect two computers to one cable modem via D-Link switch

I need to know how to connect two computers to one cable modem via D-Link Switch DES-1005E. I've tried and can only get one computer to have internet access. Are there two IP addresses that are required for this to work? I don't know what to do. This worked when we had DSL and we've just switched to Comcast cable internet and now it's not working. I don't want to call Comcast because they are no help.

Reply to
ks1natl1
Loading thread data ...

Switch DES-1005E. I've tried and can only get one computer to have internet access. Are there two IP addresses that are required for this to work? I don't know what to do. This worked when we had DSL and we've just switched to Comcast cable internet and now it's not working. I don't want to call Comcast because they are no help.

Yes, you need a different IP address for each computer and so a router after the modem instead of a switch. You appear to need help from someone who is literate in networking, so if it is not from Comcast then someone else.

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Switch DES-1005E. I've tried and can only get one computer to have internet access. Are there two IP addresses that are required for this to work? I don't know what to do. This worked when we had DSL and we've just switched to Comcast cable internet and now it's not working. I don't want to call Comcast because they are no help.

You need a router/switch combo, not just a switch.

Or you can turn on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows and use a second NIC card (or WIFI) to connect the 2nd PC. The PC connected to the modem has to have two NIC's for this to work, they can be wired or wireless. This is a sloppy way to do it.

It's better to spend $50 on a router (I like Linksys and Asus). You will get way more features (like a firewall), and the primary PC wont have to be on for the 2nd to get a connection.

Reply to
G. Morgan

For $5 it's worth the gamble, but consumer-grade routers poop-out so much I wouldn't risk much more dough on a used untested one.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks for your help.

ks1natl1

--

formatting link

Reply to
ks1natl1

If your ISP allows two IP connections at one time the switch should work. If your ISP does not allow two IP connections simultaneously then you will need a router.

A router combines the computers internal network IPs into one IP address to the ISP and then sorts out responses, reconfiguring IP addresses.

A switch will only direct responses from your ISP to the correct computer connection but not change IP addresses.

---------

Thanks for your help.

ks1natl1

--

formatting link

Reply to
Josepi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.