Home Domination

I hate marketing, but I need to get off my butt and do some again. So please check out

formatting link
Granted, it is my baby (it just turned 3 years old), but I think it is a really great program, and plenty of other people have said the same thing. There's a lot of good home automation info the web site too. Here's my blurb...

Home Domination is very reliable Windows software that works with the CM11A, CM19A and the CM15A. It also can control devices directly using USBmicro devices, and you can attach and use an unlimited number of

1-Wire temperature sensors with these devices. You can do practically anything with the macro support, it has a remote client that works very reliably, and it can support an unlimited number of video devices. It can monitor email for commands too.

You can pick and choose the features to buy, so you can get exactly what you need for a very low price. Free 30-day full function demo. Use this coupon code to get 20% off any software purchase until

2/28/06: WENM2IZ982MKS8YA

If you have any questions, please email me at snipped-for-privacy@homedomination.com.

Harry Strand StrandControl, LLC

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@homedomination.com

Reply to
Harry
Loading thread data ...

Harry,

The new website looks much better.

--------------------------------------- Brian Dye snipped-for-privacy@tech-home.com

formatting link

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Dave

When I first read your phrase:

"Serial attached 1-WIRE devices"

I parsed it as 1-wire devices attached to a PC serial port. Was this what you meant? What PC serial device/connections whould that be?

Then I read it again and thought that perhaps you meant that you have all of your 1-wire devices strung serially, as in all on one bus. Was that what you meant? Home Domination will work that way.

Reply to
Rob

I'm not sure what country you're in, Harry, but in the US the word "domination" tends to be associated with things other than home automation. You might want to consider a different name.

There's a persistent legend that even Coca-Cola had to change their name in China, where it meant "bite the wax tadpole"

formatting link
A similar tale arose of why GM renamed the Chevy Nova in Spanish-speaking markets where the name translates to: "No go!"

Apocryphal, or not, I would do a test survey asking a sample of Americans what they thought a program called "homedomination" was likely to do.

Just a thought.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

DH>

formatting link
I'm sorry, Dave, but with the recent rash of exploits using specially crafted websites, I don't click on ANYTHING unless I've got a pressing need for the information. I also have to have some idea from the URL's location who and what it's all about. I'm not really in the market for any new HA programs. My plate overflows already with things I should be reading. When I looked at the posting it had a G-mail return address. No warm and fuzzy feeling there. The name "domination" didn't provide any warm and fuzzies, either.

I don't believe that anyone clicks away on websites and downloads and runs demo programs like they used to when the web was first new. That's because nearly everyone's been scammed by scumware, had their browser hijacked or been molested in some other way by rogue software.

Most people have learned the hard way that there's a risk involved with any software package they load. They also know that uninstallers often leave trash behind and pulling a programming *completely* off a machine is a lot harder than installing it, particularly if it's adware or scumware.

Maybe if Harry had really piqued my interest somehow, I might have looked but then again, why? To me this is "Yet Another Home Automation Program Assembled by a Lone Practitioner."

It's a little ironic because it's your having to withdraw support for Commander-X and your multiple housecode transceiver and even your web pages has taught me to be wary of the lone practitioner. I know it wasn't your intention to withdraw - and my comments are not meant to be pejorative - it's clear that you got sick and had to prioritize. Your situation illustrates the risks of any "key man" endeavor.

That said, I am very happy to see you collaborate with Jeff Volp. I have high hopes for the outcome because many of the greatest advances in science come from collaborative efforts.

formatting link
[Click at your own peril!]

:-)

Now, back to the Adicon site to try to find out exactly *what* is behind John W's false air handler panel!!!!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I parsed it as 1-wire devices attached to a PC serial port. Was this what you meant? What PC serial device/connections whould that be?

Yes. I have a DS9097U attached to the Com Port on my PC Dave

Reply to
Dave

I may have found a way to give new life to the DIY transceiver. Watch this space. ;)

If there's a qualified VB programmer who is interested, I'd be willing to part with the Commander-X source (32-bit version). My intention was always to make it freeware but one of my sons tried to commercialize it. After he abandoned it, someone else expressed a really strong interest but he wanted me to stay involved and my health really isn't up to that. It would be ideal if it were someone who could convert it to REALbasic and make it available for Windows, Linux & OS-X.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Sorry, I don't spend enough time on this news group it looks like! I got a lot more replies to this than I expected!

Brian, thanks for the compliment! It's the same old web site, but there's a different home page (I agree, it's better) and I added some information. I've still got more to do, but I guess you have to do what you can when you can.

Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "serial attached 1-WIRE devices". Are you talking about a specific type of 1-Wire device? It would be fairly easy to add support for additional types of 1-Wire devices, so if you could let me know specifically what device and how you would like to use it, I would consider adding support for it. If you mean you want to attach multiple 1-Wire temperatures sensors serially to a single wire, Home Domination does support this now. So you can string a single wire all over your house and attach temperature sensors wherever you want.

Bobby G, I'm based in Eau Claire, WI. I'm aware of the connotation, but thought it was an amusing twist. Goofy humor, I know. Hopefully nobody is offended. Surprisingly, one of my first customers was a Catholic priest, so I guess it didn't bother him anyway.

Also, I understand your concern for security, but Home Domination is safe to download, is not spyware, and is a program I've worked very hard on for 3 years and I have used it in my home for nearly the entire time. It's very reliable and has a great deal of power. It's definitely worth checking out. As far as being a one-man operation, my costs are low, I use Home Domination myself, and I won't stop developing or go belly up even if all my sales dry up. I've spent the last month automating some things with my business so I can support higher volumes of sales with less of my time, so I haven't developed much new lately, but I'll be adding new features soon and I'll have more time available for it due to my automation efforts.

Sorry so many messages have flown by without a response, but I have another full time job and I work late on Home Domination every other night until about 3:00 A.M. I try to get some sleep in-between. I do answer support emails frequently throughout the day, every day, even on most weekends and holidays (although less frequently then).

Thanks again for all your responses! Please check out the website

formatting link
and give the demo a try if you're interested.

Harry Strand StrandControl, LLC

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@homedomination.com

Reply to
Harry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.