Active Home Pro /CM15A problems

I just bought one of x10's starter kits which is built around the Active Home Pro/CM15A. From reading their forums, it looks like this isn't a reliable combination (and i'm not having much better luck. tech support at X10.com is pretty worthless).

My questions:

is there another software program that i can download that "talks" to the CM15A so i can determine if i have a software or hardware problem? i've only been able to find SW that supports serial interfaces instead of USB.

Is it more likely that i have a hardware problem? if so, is there an alternative to the CM15A that is similar (is a transceiver as well as a PC interface; stores macros/timers in memory) but actually works as advertised?

And a bigger question: i bought this as part of a package that i thought was a killer deal: i got the AMP/CM15A, a palmpad and 6 in one learning remote, two credit card remotes, two eagle eye sensors and 8 decorator wall switches for $150. I thought the switches alone were worth that. So even if i can't get the CM15A thing to work, i'm tempted to keep the rest of the goodies. that is, if it's worth keeping. i already have a few lamp and appliance modules that i control with a wired controller. do the wireless systems really work as advertised? will i be able to say control the modules and switches from anywhere in the house with the remotes? can i actually control lights from my car in the driveway that are upstairs or on the front of the house when the transceiver is say in my bedroom (without tons of extra work and expense)? or is this hype as well?

thanks for the help

mk

Reply to
mrkerr
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.