Insteon with 400amp service (2 panels)

I just got my Insteon starter kit and discovered that I cannot get the to Signalinc RFs to talk to each other. I have 400 amp service using two panels. I talked to Smarthome and they said they don't support this because they don't know if the signals will get through reliably. I thought maybe I could get things to work if I started with both phases of one panel. I had hoped that I could figure this out by reading what the builder had marked on the panel (which seems to be quite accurate). Once I got Insteon working across one panel, I was hoping two more Signalinc RFs would bridge the two panels.

Am I missing something here? Is this even possible? If Insteon doesn't work, do I have any hope even for X10?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Leon

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

How far apart are the two RF units?

When you >I just got my Insteon starter kit and discovered that I cannot get the

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks for the quick response, Dave.

I don't have a lot of options for distance, based on what the labels on the panel tell me. On panel 1, one phase appears to cover the second floor,while the other phase covers the first floor. Will the RF signal make it from one floor to the next? I'm not sure I had them as close as I could (one room above the other), so I can try that. Also, I had both antennas oriented veritcally. Would horizontal orientation for both make a difference?

Thanks.

- Le>How far apart are the two RF units?

Reply to
Someone

Sorry, I realized that I didn't even answer your question about distance. On my latest attempt, I had the units about 8 feet apart. That appears to be the closest I can get them while still being on different phases. This assumes that the way I've tried to identify the phases is correct - I've assumed that breakers on one side of the box are on the same phase.

Thanks.

- Le>Thanks for the quick response, Dave.

Reply to
Someone

This may sound stupid but wouldn't you need four RF units for an installation like this? Two to connect *each* phase of *each* panel or is there an assumption that the panels are electrically interconnected close to the building? Since more and more modern houses are using a similar setup, this problem is should be something Insteon really should run to ground.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I was thinking along the same lines. However, before I spent more money on this, I was hoping I could get partial functionality by bridging both phases of one panel. I would think if this was going to work at all that the first two Signalinc RFs would at least connect to each other without requiring two more.

Reply to
Someone

I would instead trying bridging the two panels first, one phase on one panel to the opposite phase on the other panel.

Has Smarthome developed a decent Insteon signal analyzer? It sounds like it might become a very handy tool.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
8 feet should be close enough. Vertical/horizontal doesn't matter as long as they both are the same. When I tested, I could create problems at 10-12' with different antenna orientations.

I suspect you have them on the same phase.

SmartHome needs better training for their support people. There really shouldn't be any problem with two panels. You may need additional RF units but I would try it first with just two. As long as Phase A on both panels and Phase B on both panels share the same utility company transformer, you should be OK but you may need a few more Insteon switches or modules to prove this.

They should work between floors as l>Sorry, I realized that I didn't even answer your question about

Reply to
Dave Houston

I've been trying just about every combination of outlets without any luck ... I think. One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how to get the second Signalinc RF to try to connect. The instructions say just to plug it into the wall. However, when I do that, the LED comes on and stays on. If I press the Set button, the LED will flash. The question is - is Smarthome confused again? Should the RF automatically try to connect, or do I need to hit the Set button? When I have hit Set on the second RF, then go back to the first RF and hit Set, the first RF LED stays on, but the second one goes off.

Reply to
Someone

Reply to
Dave Houston

You need to follow the instruction in the Quick-Start Guide.

Plug 1 RF unit in. Then press and hold its SET button for 10 secs. The LED should start blinking. It will continue to blink until you plug the second RF unit into an outlet on the other phase (but still within RF range). Do not press SET on the second unit. The fact that it isn't blinking rapidly is an indication that you are on the same phase (or are out of range).

I'm not sure what it means when the sec>I've been trying just about every combination of outlets without any

Reply to
Dave Houston

It depends on the box.

Most boxes alternate "phase" on each side so a double pole breaker (220v) terminals are next to each other.

ASCII art of common "phase" layout in breaker box. A and B are the "phases".

A A B B A A B B A A

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

I should have guessed that it wouldn't be this easy. Maybe I'll call the builder to ask if he remembers.

Thanks.

- Le>

Reply to
Someone

Okay. I'll stop messing with the Set button on the 2nd unit. According to the guide, if it flashes slowly, that means it connected with the

1st, but is on the same phase. I guess I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

- Le>You need to follow the instruction in the Quick-Start Guide.

Reply to
Someone

In my electrical box it's slightly different (Federal Pioneer 100Amp service box).

It's:

A A A A B B B B A A A A B B B B etc.

Trash

Reply to
none

Aargh! This is making me a bit crazy. :(.

Seriously, I appreciate all of the input. At least it's telling me that I should keep trying and it might take a while.

Can I determine the phases in my panels from manufacturer info or is it dependent on how the electrician set things up?

- Le>Lewis Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Someone

My 20 year old 200 Amp General Electric box is like this last layout as well. Long ago, I installed one of those capacitors* in my breaker box to bridge X10 signals, which worked pretty well until my CM11a continually got weaker and weaker. Now it seems to work pretty well for Insteon as well. I don't have any RF units, but my Insteon signals seem to reach every corner of a 2800 sq ft home on both phases with no problem.

• formatting link
    Scott Knight
Reply to
Scott Knight

Reply to
Dave Houston

on 1/16/2006 2:11 PM Someone carved the following into a picnic table:

Leon,

I figured mine out the hard way...by looking at it ;) You can either start popping breakers out and look at how the bus is designed, or try to find some online documentation for the model that you have, or ask the electrician, or call the manufacturer, or post the model number here, etc. If you have enough 220v breakers, you might be able to get a clue by looking at what positions they are installed. Mine happens to have a diagram in the door that is pretty helpful now that I know what I am looking at...unfortunately, it didn't do me much good for figuring out the info I needed. Hope this helps.

-- Scott Knight

Reply to
Scott Knight

on 1/16/2006 2:27 PM Dave Houston carved the following into a picnic table:

Wow, nice tip. Wish I had thought of that 2 years ago :( Thanks.

-- Scott Knight

Reply to
Scott Knight

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.