Hi- what is considered the standard quality home controller of choice? JDS Stargate or other?

I'm about to move to a wreck of a place - it's going to need electrics rewiring and plastering. I'd like to create a versatile infrastructure capable of fitting in with some form of a home automation system.

I'm currently thinking of running a couple of cat5 cables to each room as well as the new electrics. Also at least stereo input feed to each room and one mic feed from each room to a central controller - have heard about the JDS Stargate system. something like that.

Maybe there are better systems around now... I want to eventually have a system of at least X10, maybe one of the more proprietary systems around. I want to be able to automate a lot of functions in my home. I would like to have thumbprint biometrics and role-based access and voice control to the various functions of my home.

What would people here recommend as the best current 'controller' for a home automated house that I'd like to have?

And what would anyone here suggest to me in terms of cable/conduit laying, general design and which system to go for?

Also what sort of budget would I be looking at? I used to be network support, and would be more than happy to buy a crimper and make my own sockets to save on costs.

Can anyone recommend any good sites describing how best to wire for a home automation system I would like?

thanks

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

Oh.. and I forgot to add that I would also like to integrate a security system/burglar alarm into this setup. Maybe including a couple of external web-cams on a motion activatoin system. I also want to be able to stream video around the house -ideally to have some sort of dedicated media server somewhere that can support more than one concurrent stream.

Add to this I definitely want the controller to be able to handle incoming phone calls, routing, recording, and classiying when necessary.

I guess I want it all ;) ... what would you suggest for someone starting afresh right now?

Reply to
Jim

Search the forum a little and you will see this question alot.

Best coice is

Elk M1G

and best of all they just lowered the price

Brian

formatting link

Jim wrote:

security

Reply to
Tech-Home

Hi I use and highly recommend Homevision...Its a great reliable

unit.....

formatting link
Have a look here for wiring tips
formatting link
HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Hi

Check this powerfull system T7 from NSeven. It answer all of your doubts.

formatting link

Reply to
Carlos Cabrita

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.