Build your own Web Server / Gateway for $220 or less.

It's not a polished article by a long shot. (it contains a new look I'm working on for my site at

formatting link
) To see the Elephant Web Server / Gateway with the possibility for use also as a home automation controller; click on the Elephant button on the left hand side of the page. If you have a Cable / DSL modem then this article might be of interest. (It replaces your router) I've been using one for about a year, just wanted to share how it's done. Total cost with software is less than $220 Canadian. You can program it in Perl, PHP, and more. You configure it with your browser. With a little programming you could connect it to any serial based home automation devices and control / monitor them from anywhere. Hey it's cheaper and far more capable than a Stargate Web-Xpander $299 (Rabbit Based Ethernet to RS232 device).

Ultimately I would like to control the Cricket Thermostat and all the other communications enabled devices on my site. As I have the firmware I'll release as open source (GNU Hardware, firmware) I think this way we can all benifit and get very reliable HA devices around the home.

Bill

formatting link
(*look for the Projects / Elephant tab)

Reply to
William at MyBlueRoom
Loading thread data ...

I personally use a hacked Linksys NSLU2 for my webserver

formatting link
sftp remote file server, bittorrent downloader & home automation server. It is only US$99. And it has all the capabilities you mentioned. Some of the things I have installed on it: Perl, Python, Tcl, gcc, Apache & mySQL. And I have hacked it to bring out the RS232 line and "overclocked" to 266MHz (factory set to

133MHz). It consumes around 7W typical (9W max) which is less than a light bulb.
Reply to
slebetman

The NSLU2 has only one Ethernet port, It cannot act as a gateway just a server. You also need an HD and usb enclosure. It's alot eaiser to add a serial port to a PC then soldering a serial cable to the NSLU2 (which also will void any warranty). You can forget about adding a parallel port or additional serial ports. And you still need a router. On the other hand the NSLU2 is a cool device and very hacking friendly, even twonkyvision supports it. A short while ago I posted about using it as a whole home audio server. Sounds like you've got that 266MHz NSLU2 running to it's max. The squeezebox software runs very very slow on the NSLU2. Cute baby; congratulations.

Bill

Reply to
William at MyBlueRoom

Almost forgot, the other NSLU2 thread is

formatting link
PS what are you holding in the photo on your home page? Looks like a little PC104 computer.

Bill

Reply to
William at MyBlueRoom

That's neat. Personally, I prefer no fans, no moving parts etc so that I can leave it running all the time and not worry about it burning my house down while I'm away.

I hear that it's possible to hack a $20 router, the Sweex LB000021.

formatting link
It just has 2Mb flash, but if a USB socket is tacked on, a flash drive can be added.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.