Which new controller should I choose? Ocelot or LynX10 possibly?

I am wondering what everyones opinions are for HA controllers. I recently purchased a new home and would like to invest in a better controller. I am considering the Ocelot and the LynX10 PLC. I am looking to spend between 100 and 200 dollars. Good software is also important, so if anyone has any suggestions there they would also be appreciated.

I began with x10 and the CM11A controller. I have lots of X10 modules that if possible I would like to continue to use for cost saving purposes. I was very unimpressed with the PC interaction with the CM11A and pretty much limited myself to using a remote and very simple Macros. I know plan on developing a much more detailed system to include lighting, HVAC, video surveilance, house wide audio, and home theater components. If anyone has any suggestions to help me on my endeavor they would be greatly appreciated. All of your previous post have been very helpful thus far.

Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
monahmat
Loading thread data ...

I don't know anything about the LynX10 PLC but my Ocelot hasn't missed a beat in over 5 years!

John W

Reply to
John W

There really is no comparison.

The LynX10 PLC is brain dead, having no memory for storing macros and timers, so you will need a PC running 24/7 and everything will depend on the software running on the PC. There are several software applications that support the LynX10 PLC.

The Ocelot has >I am wondering what everyones opinions are for HA controllers. I

Reply to
Dave Houston

After further research I think that I've decided to go with the Oceleot. One thing that I'm currently wondering about with the Ocelot is Temperature Control in the house. The house currently has propane heat with one zone for the entire house and uses the old style dial thermostat. Can this be replaced and easily monitored with the Ocelot or should I consider another component for climate control? I have been having trouble finding information pertaining to this topic. Any help or resources would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Again.

Matt

Reply to
monahmat

Reply to
Dave Houston

("Here ya go again" -- Not you Matt ;-)

2005 median price of a new home in US is ~225,000.

So a HA budget of $100-$200 is ... too skimpy? ... if the system is to be made useful and not just a HomeToy for the man of the house.

Predictably, advice was given that steered you (Matt) to a controller that is the sentimental favorite of some in this newsgroup. But the price of the first little gizmo/controller is _not_ what the home automation system is going to cost you either in time invested in program or the purchase price.

You might take a moment to compare the price and capabilities of the ELK M1 Gold

formatting link
with the Adicon Ocelot.

The Elk has many advantages over the Ocelot. The ocelot has the advantage of supporting IR.

Using

formatting link
prices (lowest I found) :

Ocelot $150

16 input module 80 16 output module 80 ----- $310

$398 is a good price for the ELK M! Gold at

formatting link
Both need a PSC05/TW-523 (not the CM11a you have) for X-10.

Both will need batteries and other associated gizmos but the Elk will need fewer because many like the phone interface and battery/power controller/voice etc are built in or are available in low-cost bundles.

By the time you add power supply, modem, voice, proper enclosure, smoke detector support, keypad, to the Ocelot, and PROGRAM the Ocelot to what the

32-bit processor in the ELK M! Gold (not two 8-bit as in Ocelot) comes pre-programmed to do, you will have spent more time, more money and have a less capable, much less conventional/harder to have serviced, (IMO) intrinsically 'less valuable' pile of interconnected little boxes (compared to the expandable, one-box ELK M1 Gold).

Be sure to compare the time and expertise you will need to program these devices to do what you need to do and the consequences of inevitable more frequent bugs and failures in complex programs you may write yourself. These are all components of the costs (or fun depending on your perspective.

Be sure to look what PC-based home automation software ( Hal, Homeseer, CQS, Premise, etc) support these controllers. And _how_ they are supported. For example Premise Systems 'supports' the Ocelot only as a dumb peripheral, that is to say, the vaunted stand-alone programming capabilities are not supported.

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.