Equipment setup

We have a new home with lots of wires in the walls, and now we are ready to buy the equipment to make the system work. We have 3 RG6 cables to every room, as well as CAT5e and 14/4 for speakers. The 14/4 goes from speaker location through the wall control box, back to the media closet. Also have CAT5e for security cameras, and security wiring from all windows and doors to the central wiring closet.

For whole house audio/video, are there any advantages to using a system with individual components, like say the Xantech ZPR68 with a couple of PA640's plus a Gatekeeper. These, along with some 780-80 and Smart Pad2 wall controls will make a nice 6 zone zyztem. But, what does this type setup give one that the Russound CAV606 or CA66L doesn't, other than a lighter bank account? As for the Russound equipment, what is the difference between the CAV606 and CA66L?

Thanks for any advice before we decide to spend lots of money. Rick

Reply to
Rick
Loading thread data ...

I have been involved in these sort of systems for many years. there are 3 basic aspects; audio, video, and control. New systems also give you the capability of audio and high definition video digitally, over cat 5 wiring. Control can be done in many ways, including pdas and web tablets, or basic keypad systems Ted

Reply to
ted

So are you saying that building your own system with separate components would provide more control than going with an integrated type system like the Russound?

Reply to
Rick

Hi Rick

Only advice i can give is to pop over to the CQC Forum and have a chat to the guys there as well ( friendly + helpful) .....They are all using different av solutions using CQC ....

formatting link
HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Absolutely. Frankly, many folks I know use the CAV66 for the a/v matrixing, then use a software backbone like CQC for control over PDA/wifi tablet PCs (i have a $200 10" fujitsu 3400). That means you can custom-paint the UI to have whatever you want, not the fixed button type thingeys on the abus/russound stuff. Not only power/source, but also pull up a full listing of all your CDs/XM stations/etc. Pull up the weather. Whatever you want.

Integrated Multi-zone / Multi-source Audio&Video systems are starting to face some serious competition from HTPC's, and for good reason: You can get infinitely more functionality using much of the same equipment you need elsewhere. Use your wifi PDA, your existing PCs, etc., for control.

Reply to
IVB

OK, you have umy interest. However, the WAF is important here, and this looks complicated. If there is too much technology to wade thorugh, my wife will not learn it, or use it.

Reply to
Rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.