Couple of New Guy Questions

We are starting to plan our new home. Looking for some ideas in the following areas:

- Hardwired lighting. Who are the major players and which if any integrated controllers like Elk or HAI do they interface with?

- UPB vs Zwave Vs Zensys. Any thoughts? We really want integration and those seem to be technologies outside of hardwired.

- Anyone have experience integrating thermostats with the Elk M-1Gold? It looks much weaker than HAI in that area.

- Automated blinds. Anyone have any experience with current production stuff?

- Electric Locks. Anything that fits well in residential use? Seco-Larm has the SD-997 series. Looking for other options and alternatives.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

M-1Gold? It

production

Seco-Larm

- Electric Locks. Anything that fits well in residential use? Seco-Larm

I'm installing 24 volt electric door strikes. I'm intergrating these with ELK M1-Gold.

M-1Gold? It

Why do you say this? What do you mean weak?

Elk is releasing a Zwave add on very soon. Zwave Vs Zensys Samething UPB basically hybrid X10 PLC. Zwave RF solution No powerline. Something else to look at is Zigbee when products start hitting the market.

Hardwire is the best way to go when building but are not as flexible when wanting to chage things around.

I'm biased on Zwave/Elk as I use them personaly and sell them. I really think Elk M1 is the best panel out there for HomeAutomation/Security.

Brian

formatting link

Reply to
Tech-Home

Thanks for the info.

I friend has an Omni and that is what got us originally interested in integrated automation. He showed me how the thermostat is integrated. Very nice. However, from what I can tell, the Elk is overall the newer and superior panel (and my friend agrees). I can't seem to find much information on how to tie thermostats into the Elk or which ones are supported. Then again I may be looking in the wrong places.

The Elk looks like it can support a lot of relay outputs also, which is another reason we like it. Would love to be able to control drapes and other discrete items with it.

With lighting, from what I have read, you can never get the hardwiring perfect when you build. You miss an outlet or some such, so additional and changeable control like X10 etc will be needed. That's why I am looking for a panel that can support both, at least by communications, if not directly.

What are the differences between Zwave and Zensys? Another item that I can't seem to figure out. Also looking for multibutton wall switches like the hard wired and X10 systems have. Are any of those being made yet?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Dear Steve,

I would be more than happy to help you. I am the owner of Automation Mania, LLC. We sell home automation products at very competitive prices. We have all of the items that you would need for your implementation. Please feel free to call me at 609-471-6268 or visit our website:

formatting link
We offer 5% off all customer orders.

Sincerely,

Christopher A. Inverso Automation Mania, LLC

Reply to
webmaster

Christopher You don't even sell Elk Or HAI. How can you help?? Try helping in the forum instead of posting generic responses and reading the charter.

Steve, I provide you with more details for installation. Email me at snipped-for-privacy@tech-home.com and reference Elk.

Brian

formatting link

Reply to
Tech-Home

Dear Brian,

We do in fact sell both HAI and Elk products. They are not yet listed on our site. However, we carry a full line of these products.

Sincerely,

Christopher A. Inverso Automation Mania, LLC

Reply to
webmaster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.