Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Been there and done that and it gets pretty boring when the old leather saddle bags start to crack like the bottom of a desert. Takes most of the fun out of it.

In article , "Josepi" wrote: How can UV from the sun affect these maladities? Sun exposure usually affects many maladities in a good way. Breast cancer is one that is statistically reduced, big time.

Reply to
Josepi
Loading thread data ...

Compared to incandescent, CFLs in USA on average reduce mercury contamination of the environment.

Burning coal is a major source of mercury pollution, to such an extent that a CFL successfully replacing a 60 watt incandescent and lasting over

5,000 hours, or successfully replacing a 100 watt incandescent and lasting over 3,000 hours, achieves a reduction of mercury pollution - even if the CFLs are not disposed of properly.

Meanwhile, they can be. I have heard that Home Depot accepts dead CFLs for proper disposal. There is also

formatting link

- Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Unless your heat is resistive electric heat, it saves to reduce electricity use and use the home heating system more.

Compared to incandescent, on average use of CFLs actually reduces mercury pollution, because burning coal releases so much mercury into the environment.

Would you believe those blinking and chasing marquee lights and the like are mostly CFLs now? The ones that have to blink are cold cathode, which can be blinked with the compromise of being a little less efficient than hot cathode.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Except this stuff on blaming health problems by melanopsin peaking at

460 nm being stimulated by CFL's blue peak (436 nm) is BS. An equivalent amount of daylight has more stimulation of the blue color sensors in the eye (peaking at 445 nm), as indicated by daylight appearing more blue. An equivalent amount of daylight stimulates scotopic receptors (peaking at 508 nm) much more than CFL does, as indicated by higher s/p ratio. Daylight's spectrum is pretty smooth and high throughout the violet to blue-green range, and favors a photomechanism peaking at 460 nm (whereCFL spectrum is lacking) even less than is favors sensing a bluish color.

The whole document appears to me to be a fluorescent-bashing BS set of half-truths.

In fact, most health claims related to 460 nm from advocates of full-spectrum lamps are that non-full-spectrum fluorescents do not produce enough in the 460 nm area (which most white LEDs do produce a lot of).

As it turns out, CFLs do not produce a lot of ultraviolet, in fact much less than is present in an equivalent amount of daylight that has passed through a glass window. CFLs produce more UV than incandescents do, but still little.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Please, Bobby. The *statement* that CFL's cause exacerbate all of these ills was BS. There was no intent to attack the person who apparently believes it.

You owe the newsgroup an apology for trying tio turn this into a fight. Now stop it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.

Burning coal is a major source of mercury pollution, to such an extent that a CFL successfully replacing a 60 watt incandescent and lasting over

5,000 hours, or successfully replacing a 100 watt incandescent and lasting over 3,000 hours, achieves a reduction of mercury pollution - even if the CFLs are not disposed of properly.

Meanwhile, they can be. I have heard that Home Depot accepts dead CFLs for proper disposal. There is also

formatting link

Reply to
Josepi

What brand are you buying? I've had a bunch of Sylvania and Feit CFLs burn out -- but I've had Sylvania incandescents that lasted only a day or less too.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

It does become hard to differentiate sales promotion at the cost of other product bashing from honest testing and reporting, whatever that is...LOL

I believe it was that same report that brought in LED lighting as a similiar problem as fluorescent spectrums. I wouldn't have believed that lighting spectrum balance was so important but as I age I find myself very affected by lighting, particularly SADS type responses due to lack of sunlight.

In fact, most health claims related to 460 nm from advocates of full-spectrum lamps are that non-full-spectrum fluorescents do not produce enough in the 460 nm area (which most white LEDs do produce a lot of).

As it turns out, CFLs do not produce a lot of ultraviolet, in fact much less than is present in an equivalent amount of daylight that has passed through a glass window. CFLs produce more UV than incandescents do, but still little.

Reply to
Josepi

It looks like the answer will be too install incandescent in the winter when we can use the heat efficiently and CFLs in the summer when we get enough sunlight anyway...LOL

I still wonder about the effects of staring at the TV with flourescent lighting behind it night after night. I have just ordered a new LED backlit unit. This could be the new lighting / behaviour study coming with the CRT units disapearing.

Reply to
Josepi

I have had every brand made, I think. Sylvania,Phillips, GE, Globe, and a miriad of brands I have never seen before. I am not sure which ones had problems. I have had some DOA units too in 6-packs. I have had units that took 5 minutes to brighten so you could tell they were on when I lived on solar power, on cold days.

I sell old units to Jewish people for weddings. Nobody knows it isn't a wine glass breaking inside the bag...LOL

Perce

Josepi wrote: I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.

Reply to
Josepi

I have had every brand made, I think. Sylvania,Phillips, GE, Globe, and a miriad of brands I have never seen before. I am not sure which ones had problems. I have had some DOA units too in 6-packs. I have had units that took 5 minutes to brighten so you could tell they were on when I lived on solar power, on cold days.

I sell old units to Jewish people for weddings. Nobody knows it isn't a wine glass breaking inside the bag...LOL

Perce

Josepi wrote: I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.

Reply to
Josepi

Have you actually seen mercury leaked from a CFL? I doubt it - the quantity is very small.

Meanwhile, I have extensive CFL usage, and never broken or cracked one unless I dropped it. I have seen one CFL that cracked during use, among hundreds of burnouts that I have had a chance to see.

I have had a few come apart at the base during handling - like 2, with one additional having the tubing come loose from tubing end overheating while approaching burnout, with none of these 3 having the tubing break, while I have had more burnouts than that in my home since 1990. Both the ones that had their bases coming apart were dollar store stool specimens of usual dollar store brands.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

The BS one snipped out here by any chance?

Phototherapy for SADS tends to consist of:

1. Quantity first and foremost - this needs a lot of light.
  2. Secondarily, many sources indicate favorability of 460 nm area blue spectral content - which most white LEDs have a lot of and where most fluorescents run on the low side.

Your newsreader adds only one quotation symbol per line, even for lines having more than one level of quotation. This is unusual in Usenet.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Except CFLs still cost in the winter when the main home heating is by something more cost-effective than resistive electric heating, as in heat pump or non-electric heating.

Spectra of CRT monitors has about the same coverage/reception by all known and suspected photoreceptors in the human eye as spectra of higher color temp. CFLs. I own some diffraction gratings BTW...

As in ones thatare nothing but diffraction gratings, besides the ones that most people have some of and that can also show spectra (CDs and DVDs).

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Nothing like having to go around and change to the other set of light bulbs, twice a year. How would you know when to perform such change?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They knew there were no weapons. They came into office intending to attack Iraq and had been trying to get prior administrations to do so. They wanted control of the oil.

They didn't bankrupt themselves of course. The military industrial complex is doing very well. No one dares to cut their budget.

Reply to
dgk

You would also need to factor in extra cooling in summer which likely offsets the winter heat gain.

Reply to
dgk

No. Mercury? I believe it was the vaccuum that leaked out...LOL

I agree that some may have been the dollar store crap but some were Phillips and Sylvania too. I suspect many are manufactured by the same factory.

I would bet some have cheap glue/adhesives used and are not good for the excessive heat when used in a ceiling mount. Incandescents used to be labelled this way (for mounting position) by some, years back.

Meanwhile, I have extensive CFL usage, and never broken or cracked one unless I dropped it. I have seen one CFL that cracked during use, among hundreds of burnouts that I have had a chance to see.

I have had a few come apart at the base during handling - like 2, with one additional having the tubing come loose from tubing end overheating while approaching burnout, with none of these 3 having the tubing break, while I have had more burnouts than that in my home since 1990. Both the ones that had their bases coming apart were dollar store stool specimens of usual dollar store brands.

I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have broken or came apart from the base and leaked.

Reply to
Josepi

The symbol you are refering to is probably a right caret. Your browser has added them.

Reply to
Josepi

Please explain your comment about diffaction gratings. I don't understand the usage here for light spectrums. Do they function similar to prisms to difract the spectrum for analysis? TIA

Spectra of CRT monitors has about the same coverage/reception by all known and suspected photoreceptors in the human eye as spectra of higher color temp. CFLs. I own some diffraction gratings BTW...

As in ones thatare nothing but diffraction gratings, besides the ones that most people have some of and that can also show spectra (CDs and DVDs).

Reply to
Josepi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.