fridge/freezer temp and RF?

Does anyone make a fridge/freezer alarm that uses RF for remote displays? And are they compatible with other computer RF interfaces (like the weather units).

Having just had a fridge die I'd like to avoid not knowing about it until everything nearly reached room temps. A non-automated one would be fine but if there's an option to get it integrated with HA then I'd like to consider it.

Thanks,

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

GRI makes a "ThermStat-1 Programmable Digital Thermal Sensor" that retails for about $67. The unit mounts outside the freezer, usually to a wall. You'll need a remote probe (about $15) to place inside the freezer. It has dual form C outputs which you could connect to any RF transmitter you want. Linear, for example, makes inexpensive transmitters and receivers.

I sell the above stuff online. So do a few hundred other online stores.

Another alternative, which I don't sell, is the "Chaney 00985 Wireless Refrigerator and Freezer Thermometer", which may be more handy in your situation since the RF component is included in the package. There are lots of online stores selling that one.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The Oregon Scientific THC138 wireless thermometer (~$20) has its sensor on a 10 ft cable and would be an economical solution if your HA system already includes receiving RF from Oregon sensors.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

It would appear they're discontinuing the THC138. That and something about protocol version incompatibilities?

Ideally I'd like to get something that had an alarm triggered by a settable temperature level. As in, squeal like a stuck pig when the fridge or freezer rises about a given temp. I've learned to appreciate the ability of using automation along with standalone systems. Too much dependence on a central computer is the bane of many an automation setup.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

You might want to consider Winland's wireless monitoring system. They call it "EnviroAlert EA800." It uses wired and/or wireless sensors to trigger a programmable base station. The base station has an audible alarm plus relay outputs which can be connected to your HA system. We carry Winland's products so I may be a bit biased in their favor, but they have been pretty reliable over the years. I don't recall ever having a warranty issue. We've sold a fair number of their hard-wired monitoring systems though I have not dealt with the wireless model yet. Here's a link.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I meant to also include a link to the product on my website along with the manufacturer's page. Here it is in case you're interested.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, that does look like an interesting solution. It's listed as being able to monitor up to four sensors and also water and door contacts. So is that four sensors total (a mix of temp and the water/door) or 4 temp and also one water and one door? I've been thinking of putting a floor water sensor in that area also.

Which systems work with the "least hassle" with PC automation solutions?

Do you know if it's RF data can be monitored from a PC? Or more importantly, is there an existing PC solution that's known to do it, not an assemblage of hacks (I have enough of THOSE already).

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

After thinking about it a bit I remembered there's a more complete solution from Winland. I've used a lot of their wired sensors over the years. The RF kit looks to be suitable. I posted about it in this thread. It's called EnviroAlert EA800. It can handle 4 wirted plus 4 RF sensors. You can mix temperature, humidity, flood, pressure and waterflow sensors. This is Winland's flagship model. It's a little pricey though so you might still want to loook at the others. Here's link to my page on the EA800. I listed the various accessories at the bottom of the page:

formatting link

You can't read the temperature directly into your PC from the Chaney unit of the Winland. With either one you set kimits and connect form "C" outputs to your HA system. I found the Chaney unit online. I don't carry the line so I'm not up on the specs. Here's what a competitor's store says about it:

"The Chaney 00985 Wireless Refrigerator and Freezer Thermometer is a compact digital thermometer that helps you safeguard your food investment with programmable temperature alarms for both fridge and freezer. The 00985 displays current refrigerator and freezer temperatures in big, bold digits and recorded minimum and maximum temperatures in smaller digits. You can select °C or °F for displayed temperatures. When temperatures fall below preset minimum values or exceed preset maximum values, the 00985 activates both audible and visible alarms so that you are informed and can take appropriate action. This digital thermometer comes with two wireless remote temperature sensors. The remote numbered 1 is for the refrigerator, and the remote numbered 2 is for the freezer."

Following is a link to their store. I don't know them -- they may be great folks or not, so due dilligence:

formatting link
Hope that helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

BTW, I didn't bring up the ELK M1G because I know you've already got a system of your own but for the sake of other readers I'd like to mention it. The ELK Peoducts M1G has both digital and analog inputs. Any of the inputs (it comes with 16 on board and can expand to over 200 zones) can work with standard burglary sensors or 0-10 Volt analog.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I picked up one of these cheap off fleabay and it's just ok. I went with this because the RF sensors don't require running a wire out of the enclosed fridge. The audible portion of the alarm is pretty weak. That and the RF range isn't very far, granted in my 50's era faraday cage-like house nothing RF works at anything close to it's claimed distance. The reviews on Amazon state it's best to use lithium cells for the freezer unit. I've only got alkalines in there now, we'll see how long they last.

At some point I want to get better environmental sensing integrated with HA stuff. But it's such a hodge-podge of incompatiblities that I'm in no hurry.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.