Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

LOL. Yup, economic OCD is difficult.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:hgt641$g5g$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org... Nothing like having to go around and change to the other set of light bulbs, twice a year. How would you know when to perform such change?

Reply to
Josepi
Loading thread data ...

I was referring to the "greater than" symbol.

I use a newsreader for Usenet. Mine adds a greater than symbol to lines being quoted, even if they already have greater than symbols due to being previously quoted. Newsreaders do this because Usenet culture expects them to. Your software apparently not intended to be a newsreader apparently refuses to add one to a line already having these, even if you are adding a level of quotation. Missing greater than symbols can confuse readers as to who wrote what.

- Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Although the physical principles are different, the effect of a diffraction grating is similar to that of a prism.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

"greater than" is only a usage in mathematically expressions for a ">" symbol. There are many proper names for the symbol but the mathematical usage or meaning does not apply here.

Some Usenet browsers have evolved to more advanced levels and support the style, quite well. Your style is only one of the many used on Usenet and other forums.

My Usenet browser can read and write posts on Usenet. Are you using a separate newswriter to post?

I see no confusion. All text is with the respective headers containing the reference, who posted it and sometimes the time and other details, depending on the browser used.

I use a newsreader for Usenet. Mine adds a greater than symbol to lines being quoted, even if they already have greater than symbols due to being previously quoted. Newsreaders do this because Usenet culture expects them to. Your software apparently not intended to be a newsreader apparently refuses to add one to a line already having these, even if you are adding a level of quotation. Missing greater than symbols can confuse readers as to who wrote what.

In article , Josepi wrote: The symbol you are refering to is probably a right caret. Your browser has added them

Reply to
Josepi

Then why does HTML call them that?

I read and post with the same software.

The few times I used a browser software package to post, it added those symbols at the beginning of every quoted line, same as software intended for Usenet use. It certainly does that when I reply to e-mails. That was the composer automatically invoked by the mail/news software included into Netscape 4.7.

However, I have done at least 99.9% of my postings with tin or slrn running on a Unix shell account. My guess is that they invoke Pine or something similar for composing.

Now I notice that whatever you are using is not adding them at all. That can make things confusing when people used to this Usenet convention of using these (or occaisionally alternatives such as colons) snip out signatures and stuff from signature files to edit for space.

Meanwhile, references are all in a single line that is one of the headers of an entire article.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

If memory serves, a diffraction grating is a series of very tiny prisms, adding up to the effect of being a very large prism, but some how made flat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Using the Usenet STANDARD of "greater than" symbols is not just for the convenience of sighted people. News reader software for the blind depends on those symbol to find just the most recent post, and also be able to maneuver around a post, from fresh, to previous to 2nd previous, etc.

Reply to
salty

Agreed. Following the standard makes it convenient for lazy people like me who really don't want to read every line of each post just to figure out which part was the last entry. Say what you like about how great your news client software is. If others find it difficult to follow they will ignore your posts.

That said, isn't this meta-thread getting a bit long and silly?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Exactly. That is why it is so important to go with thw top posting standard your browser was designed to provide.

If people really wanted clarity they wouldn't spam every group with a long advertising signature that confuses all the threading techniques, no matter which one is used.

That said, isn't this meta-thread getting a bit long and silly?

Reply to
Josepi

Welcome to my killfile, dumbass.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

PLONK for unremitting idiocy

Reply to
salty

One person, with one PC won't show on your one PC in one home, some where in the world. And, so, you tell the entire list about how one PC's messages won't show up on one other PC.

Seems like a waste of typing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Perhaps so, but someone who top posts, does not use quoting conventions, gets all defensive when this is pointed out to him, and refers to a "newsreader" as a "browser" deserves at least a dope slap. Since I'm way too lazy to figure out where he lives and travel there to administer said dope slap in person, I have to settle for something easier.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Something we said?

Was it the signature link spamming the group or your Thunderbird "browser" you are "getting all defensive" about?

LOL

Perhaps so, but someone who top posts, does not use quoting conventions, gets all defensive when this is pointed out to him, and refers to a "newsreader" as a "browser" deserves at least a dope slap. Since I'm way too lazy to figure out where he lives and travel there to administer said dope slap in person, I have to settle for something easier.

nate

Reply to
Josepi

Get some real lights on that boat and a decent news browser so you can understand what you are reading.

LOL

Reply to
Josepi

Oh, a nymshift, how clever. Get a life.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh, and if you *insist* on using Outhouse Express, at least configure it properly. And it's a "mail client" acting as a "newsreader" not a "browser," you f****it.

formatting link

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't responded to the twit. My filter is working, and nym shifting won't get Joesepathetic around it.

Reply to
salty

I wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't responded to the twit. My filter is working, and nym shifting won't get Josepawesome around it.

Reply to
Josephi

What are you, five?

Oh, and you're replying to the salty dog, not YT. So apparently can you not only quote correctly, but you can't follow attributions correctly, either.

(installs new, mo' betta filters)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.