Advice Needed: Security Cameras accessible over internet

Hi,

I am in Bali (lucky me!) and have 2 problems that you may be able to help me with.

The 1st is for a local architect. He has many building projects going on around the island and spends too much time driving around checking progress. What he'd like is a way to check progress over the internet from his office and/or on his mobile phone/PDA. Maybe there's a camera that can upload images/footage, perhaps triggered by motion, at regular intervals or continuously. For site security, it would be good if it also worked at night.

It would be preferable if these cameras could function without being hooked up to PCs - since that would mean buying a PC for each site - but that's not completely necessary.

Some of the local mobile phone suppliers offer GPRS access to the internet so that, with a suitable GPRS modem, my friend can access the internet to upload images without needing a phone line. This is available at an attractive flat tariff, so he could stay online 24/7. Apparently, some phone suppliers also offer CDMA access, which is faster than GPRS - but the principle is the same.

The 2nd problem is for me. It is similar to the 1st problem. I am building a villa in Bali and am thinking about security. In this case, it is one site with a PC and a phone line (although I may opt for CDMA access to the internet as it's faster and cheaper). I'm thinking about installing up to 4 cameras around the site. It would be very nice if I could check these cameras via the 'net, but the main thing is that they should record good-quality footage day and night and, if possible, alert the security staff if motion is detected. I don't mind using wired cameras and I don't think I need ones that pan and tilt (although these are nice features if not too expensive).

I should emphasise that we don't mind paying a bit more for something reliable, easy to install and use with good quality footage.

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
ajblane
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.