Wireless camera to use on pc - advice please

I want to have a remote camera in my house for garden security that will record onto my PC when anything moves, intruders etc. I have a wireless router and assume this can be used. What camera's are there out there at a reasonable cost?

I have found many that talk of WIFI connection to the internet etc. but I am not sure if I can use my PC to monitor them and run a movement detection program. I assume this is not an uncommon request.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Ashnook.
Loading thread data ...

Hi Whilst not being the greatest authority on cctv your request seems rather uncommon. You want to monitor the garden with a camera inside the house? As for cameras a simple webcam will do the job but the resolution will be rubbish and night mode non existant. Using a 520line (or better) camera will give the resolution but the inside light from the house will cause backlight problems. Most of the trade now use stand alone DVR equipment which affords network connection to a PC via rs232 interface.Plus some have on board motion software. Cameras come in all types 240v 12v 24v colour B/W colour with built in IR lights for night use colour day/night and so on. Costs vary vastly from £45 to £1500 for a single camera and DVR's start from £120 to around £1500.

Have a look here for ideas..

formatting link
or try your local DIY store's web site for cctv cameras.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

I agree in part with "cj", You shouldn't site the camera inside due to reflections on the glass of the window, light, etc. You need to be looking for a camera to mounted externally. Also a seperate dedicated DVR is the best option, networked if required for internet access.

You can get IP cameras which will connect to your wireless network but due to this still being relatively new technology, the cost of these units is still quite high for a decent one. If you could possibly wire to the camera it would be a better option.

There is a card (Pico 2000) available online, for your pc so you can connect cameras and monitor / record images. This does have a motion recording feature. We don't install these ourselves but I do know people who have used them with some success.

Good luck

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Thanks both of you, yes, I do need to mount it outside.

There is a 'Wireless LAN 802.11g Motion-JPEG IP Camera' on ebay, item number 350029263338 which in my un-knowing eye seems to do what I want but I am not sure if it will. I assume my router will pick it up but not sure if my PC can monitor it.

I will also look at you site cj to see what you have.

Thanks

Paul Ek> I agree in part with "cj", You shouldn't site the camera inside due to

Reply to
Ashnook.

Had a look at your ebay item,

- not IP rated for external use

- low resolution 640X480 24bit colour.

- no mention of lux capability, lighting requirements (probably not capable of capturing images dusk - dawn)

It is cheap but in this case you certainly get what you pay for.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Thanks Paul,

If I get something with a better video spec. can I do what I want to do with the PC regarding the wifi interface? I.e. constantl;y monitor the camera for movement and with the right software (which I have) record on activity. It's the camera to wireless router to pc interface I am not sure about.

Paul Ek> Had a look at your ebay item,

Reply to
Ashnook.

Hi NB the site is not mine just one of our suppliers,seem to remember ARIA doing a high res card for camera's but can't find it on their site ..

formatting link
CJ

Reply to
cj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.