CM11 signal output dropped to unusable levels

Paul, Thanks for your suggestions. I wish it were that simple. Nothing has changed here. If something were sucking up the signal, I'd expect that wireless commands wouldn't be processed by the tranceiver and that isn't the case. The tranceiver works correctly and will command all modules even when plugged into the same power source as the CM11

I took the CM11 apart this AM and looked for poor solder joints. After finding nothing really bad, I plugged it back in (with it's guts hanging out) and the output seems to be normal. All circuits now respond when commanded by the PC via the CM11.

I'll try a heat gun on the board and take a closer look for bad solder joints. There are a few that might be worth reflowing, but I'll bet the problem will be back!

Still look>FWIW...

Reply to
Doug
Loading thread data ...

The CM11 seems to have low output power compared to other transmitters. If you have a buildup of signal-suck, the CM11 transmissions are the first place you'll see it. Do you have a coupler-repeater? Do you have filters on typically problematic things--PCs, A/V equipment, etc?

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I don't have a repeater nor do I have any devices to bridge the power phases other than what ever may be ocurring due to the appliances in the house.

I don't have any filters or surge supressors that haven't been in place for months. There was a surge supressor in the same circuit as the CM11, but it didin't make any difference when I removed it.

If this thing hadn't been rock solid for many months to a year, I'd start to wonder about that, but it came on almost overnight and last night was literaly talking only to the devices plugged into it. I moved it to a different location to give it another try.

It seems like some part or connection that was intermittant has healed this AM after I disassembled it. I've seen low signal problems on other houses, but it has never shown itself here.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Hello, I've been using CM11s for many years now with good success (my requirements are low), but recently the one in my house started missing events.

I believe the X10 signal output has dropped to very low levels, The only modules that respond are ones on the same circuit or plugged into the CM11 itself. On the receive side, it seems to function normally when a computer is attached and it loggs events created by a tranceiver when Active Home SW is running and connected to the CM11.

I would really appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this type of problem. If it's a likely to be a transistor or capacitator, I might be able to change a few if I had a clue what was what. I haven't been successful in finding a schematic so far.

Thanks, Doug in AZ

Reply to
Doug

FWIW...

I had similar symptoms - but mine turned out to be related to a new device plugged into the same circuit as the CM11 - in my case a c transformer for a dvd writer - with it in place X10 went very quiet in my house.

Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but I would advise double checking anything new or moved on the power circuits before cracking open the unit.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Peard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.