ZoneAlarm and yEnc don't play well together

I thought you might be interested in this e-mail I fired off at ZoneLabs today. I figure you use both newsgroups and zonealarm and may find this useful.... Dear ZoneLabs staff, Your latest update to ZoneAlarm, which I installed a few days ago, interferes with newsgroups browsing. Specifically, it interferes with yEnc encoded binaries posted on news servers, completely destroying them during download. I use Xnews, and grant full permissions to it through ZoneAlarm. All text posts and UUE and MIME binaries come through fine, but yEnc files are screwed up. Specifically, ZoneAlarm somehow inserts a space in the fist line of the file, making it unreadable to the news reader. It changes a yEnc encoded file's first line from "ybegin part ..." to "ybegin par t...". I hope you address this issue in your next patch. Until then I am forced to discontinue using your product. Thank you.

Reply to
LordXen0cide
Loading thread data ...

LordXen0cide wrote in news:Xns953E185D2312Dxen0cidestartrekmaiu@66.150.105.49:

Strange? Yenc decoding works fine here using ZASS 5.1.011.00 and XNEWS

06.08.25. In ZA Programs, XNEWS is set for access only, no server.

example:

=ybegin part=1 line=128 size=50000000 name=TBSOW.part20.rar =ypart begin=1 end=384000 =yend size=384000 part=1 pcrc32=e09e945c

tlt

Reply to
TheLoneTuna

TheLoneTuna wrote in news:Xns953F7F7072D8thelonetunaatthenet@140.99.99.130:

Hmm, after further testing, it looks like you have to turn off Quarantine in ZA E-Mail Attachments menu for the particular file extension that the yenc file decodes to.

tlt

Reply to
tlt

Quote:

There is a problem in Zone Alarm 5.1 that is causing it to mangle yEnc encoded file attachments. It's doing this by taking spaces from the latter half of the '=ybegin' line and inserting them in the middle of a keyword. This makes a line that should look like this:

=ybegin part=1 total=9 line=128 size=4656098 name=Blood For Blood - A Postcard From The Edge.mp3

look like this instead:

=ybegin part=1 total=9 li ne=128size=4656098name=BloodForBlood-APostcardFromTheEdge.mp3

The only way to deal with this is to get rid of the problem version of Zone Alarm. You can do this by disabling it when downloading binaries, by reverting to a previous version of the firewall, or by switching to another firewall. The first option is +not+ recommended.

Close quote.

Enough to make me unwilling to update to 5.1 and concider going back to 4 xomething.

Seems that ZA should fix this right away, as it is a serious fault. I cannot get onto their webboard, because their application thinks it cannot post a cookie. I have cookie managers at two levels; CookieCop and Netscape, but put them on the good guy list on both. There should be no problem.

Assuming SP2 for WinXPpro works well enough (big assumption), the long term fix may be to just use the built in firewall in that version. Just dump ZA. Hate to, because they have been real good in the past. Maybe they started using outsourced programming ;-)

Reply to
ghigley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.