zonealarm 6 good news?

I have been running Zone Alarm Pro V6 for about 2+ weeks now with zero problems. I also enabled their free version of a anti-spyware. Running Windows XP with current SP2 updates.

Reply to
WamLm
Loading thread data ...

Hi

I came here to see what the feedback was on ZA 6 before installing it. So far it all looks bad news. Is there nay good news?

Reply to
JIP

I've had no problem using ZA6 free version.

Reply to
Sam

So far I have only heard good news regarding ZA Pro 6, however, I have seen some weird reports on the free ZA 6. I have installed ZA Pro 6 here and tried it out for a few days with no troubles. Also installed the Free ZA on another machine with no problems so far either.

Another great place to read and post questions is here:

formatting link

Reply to
Kerodo

Reply to
Joan Archer

So far, so good, after an initial mess with Zone Alarm Pro. From what I read on the Zone Alarm Forum, choose a Clean Install rather than an Update to avoid most problems with the new v6.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Go read this long thread over on BBR. Some are complaining while others are not. Guess ymmv.

formatting link

Reply to
Jbob

I did have problems, but in the last hour I did a clean install of version 6 and it seems to be working fine now. It's the first time I've installed the .3 minor update to version 6. Maybe that has something do to with it?

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

In Message-ID: posted on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:35:57 +0100, JIP wrote: Begin

I decided to evaluate it against my eTrust EZ Firewall and it's very similar. It has several features I'm not interested in such as email attachment scanning, virus scanning, and anti-spy/spam filtration, but the basic action is as good as eTrust (re-branded ZA) however you can't change the skin color if that's important. My Conclusion is it's not worth any extra expense to change if you already have eTrust, or even a previous later version of ZA, but it's certainly adequate for someone in the market for a first firewall, or as a replacement for the XP firewall illusion, plus it has the (questionable) advantage of viral and spybot scanning too.

FWIW: I'm referring to ZAP v6.0.631.003 full licensed version tested on Win98SE w/aDSL connection. note* The antivirus, email, and spyware features weren't evaluated.

Reply to
Bart Bailey

In Message-ID: posted on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:43:47 GMT, Craig wrote: Begin

I too did a "clean" install. I had the eTrust EZ Firewall (re-branded ZA) that used some ZA files in the system folder and references in the registry, and I purged them all before install.

Reply to
Bart Bailey

I'm using the free version, and the only problem I am having is that the Pass-Lock function does not seem to be available, let alone working. Other than that - fine.

- Glen

Ottawa

(Remove the ".NIT.invalid" from the end of my address)

Reply to
Glen McLean

In Message-ID: posted on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:02:27 -0400, Glen McLean wrote: Begin

I ended up reverting to my ZA v4.5 after a couple days with v6. The new version lacks some of the conveniences of the old; like opening to the last page (alerts) or automatically entering the new IP from a dynamically assigned aDSL service into an active network.

Reply to
Bart Bailey

Reply to
Rocks

Don't try it yet unless you can do it on a throwaway partition. It really wrecked my test partition -- I had to delete the partition and start over. Locks up, even after uninstall and reinstall of 5.5. Good old 5.5.

Reply to
Ed Light

OTOH, I've got it installed on three XP SP2 systems and have not had a single problem. YMMV.

Reply to
maduser

I installed it on two XP systems. One was fine as long as I turned off the spyware stuff. The other was a total disaster. ZA flagged every interaction and wouldn't remember anything. I was doing nothing but telling ZA that it was OK for programs to invoke Internet Explorer, including Zone Alarm. I finally had to remove it and go back to version 5.

I was most amused that removing it prompted me to answer an survey about why....and even that got flagged by ZA.

Reply to
Scott Peterson

ZoneAlarm 6 scragged two of my XP development boxes. Named pipes would close prematurely, and WMI/WBEM was hosed. Uninstall left the IP stack destroyed.

Later I figured out that to recover from de-installation of ZA 6 you must manually reset the IP stack.

Open a command prompt and type:

netsh netsh> interface ip reset c:\\foo.log

c:\\foo.log can be any scratch file. Reboot. Then run the Network control panel applet, select TCP/IP Protocol -> Properties, and manually restore the IP address, netmask, and DNS settings. Then write a flame letter to ZoneLabs :-(

Regards,

-Alan (alank@NOSPAMalgintech-dot-com)

Reply to
Sw

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.