Zone Alarm prevents access to browsers

I am using the latest version of Zone Alarm, 8.0 and Windows XP. Today a problem came up whereby I could not access either Internet Explorer or Firefox. I discovered the cause to be Zone Alarm. When I shut it down, I was able to access the browser. Strangely enough, once having accessed the browser, I could restart Zone Alarm and everything worked normally.

Reply to
alsteele
Loading thread data ...

To avoid these kind of problems:

1.Uninstall/Remove ZA from your OS and DON'T re-install!
formatting link
Revo Uninstaller
formatting link
2.For the average homeuser, the Windows Firewall in XP does a fantastic job at its core mission and is really all you need if you have an 'real-time' anti-virus program, [another firewall on your router or] other edge protection like SeconfigXP and practise Safe-Hex. The windows firewall deals with inbound protection and therefore does not give you a false sense of security. Best of all, it doesn't implement lots of nonsense like pretending that outbound traffic needs to be monitored. Activate and utilize the Win XP built-in Firewall; Uncheck *all* Programs and Services under the Exception tab.

Windows XP: How to turn on your firewall.

formatting link
Read through: Understanding Windows Firewall.
formatting link
Using Windows Firewall.
formatting link
Configure Windows by using: Seconfig XP 1.1
formatting link
Configuring NT-services much more secure.
formatting link
Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
formatting link
Good luck :)

Reply to
Kayman

But do you really then need the XP firewall if you have a NAT router? The only thing I use ZA (use an old version) is to "spy" at outgoing

Reply to
Lars-Erik Østerud

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.