Asrock P4V88+ + PCI WiFi-g card installation error: Access is denied

Hi,

The Asrock P4VT8+ motherboard in my desktop died yesterday (strangely, a fatal AGP socket failure...), so I've today replaced it with an Asrock P4V88+ motherboard.

Reinstalling my hardware's gone fine, apart from when plugging my generic PCI 54Mbps wireless-g card back in.

The software installation disk that came with the card, asks me to install the drivers (in my case, under XP-Home SP2), switch off the PC, install the card, then restart the PC. This worked for my old motherboard, but doesn't this time round.

Instead, XP detects new hardware (an Ethernet Controller) and wants to install the drivers for it. If I allow this, installation fails, if I point XP to the correct .inf and .sys driver files supplied on the installation disk, it also fails.

The message I get is:

Hardware Update Wizard: Cannot install this hardware An error occurred during installation...

Access is denied

Access is denied? What does that mean?

I can see no settings that can be tweaked in the BIOS, so am at a complete loss?

Please can anyone suggest how to address this unusual error > Access is denied.

Many thanks - Steven.

Reply to
__spc__
Loading thread data ...

Make sure that you're always logged in with *administrative* privileges, and:

1. Use Device Manager to delete the incorrectly installed adapter
  2. Remove the card.
  3. Uninstall the software for your card
  4. Reboot
  5. Reinstall the software
  6. Reinstall the card

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks John,

From Device Manager, I have uninstalled the incorrectly installed hardware.

From Add/Remove Programs, I have completely removed the utilities etc. that came with the card.

I have shutdown and removed the hardware.

I have rebooted, then re-installed the software from the supplied disk.

I have then shutdown againalled the hardware and rebooted.

Found New Hardware Wizard detects 54Mbps Wireless Network Adaptor. The instructions that came with the card are to auto install, so I do. The wizard goes about its business, then asks me to select from several drivers, same card but XP, ME, 98, 2k. It highlights ME, and previously I have gone for XP. This time I go fo ME as this is what it wants.

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.