ZA6 (Free)+ezAV vs. ZAAV

Hi, I'm currently using ZA free (v6) and ez Antivirus which is currently free for a year. When my free year runs out, can anyone comment on whether I'd be best to continue to subscribe to ezAV and continue to use ZA Free, or would there be an advantage in subscribing to ZAAV (which I believe incorporates ezAV) because of the extra functionality in the firewall side of ZAAV over ZA free?

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

Are you Bill Gates? If not he should be paying you royalties for free advertising!

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

yes, I'm aware of this, thanks - but because it's my family computer and others are in front of it more than I, I want to make sure that the system is as safe as possible - and I know that software absolutely determined to call home will do so even if there is a software firewall in place.

Reply to
Sam

Hi,

you could also use the Windows-Firewall. You don't need ZA at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Microsoft is delivering the Windows-Firewall with every Windows XP SP2 for free.

In older Windows releases, that is also true for the ICF, the predecessor of the Windows-Firewall.

So, I'm afraid, Microsoft have to do their advertizing themselves, as they did (not without any success ;-) the years before. They don't need me, and they have nothing of people reading my opinion here ;-)

If I would do advertizing, I'd mention the great script of Torsten Mann,

formatting link
- it makes Windows to stop offering servers to the Internet, so filtering with a host based packet filter is not needed any more in most cases (that means, you don't need a "Software firewall" or something like that any more).

I put this into a small Windows application to make it easier to use, see

formatting link
- but I did not translate it into English, because since the Windows-Firewall with Windows XP SP2 is so easy to use, people could also use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I think so. I'm only doubting, that Zonealarm will make your box more secure than the Windows-Firewall will do.

OK.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.