ZA unable to install

Hi, anyone know why I can't seem to install ZA (free) on a win98se machine (recently re-build/re-loaded). I'm getting a 'root certificate' problem message at the point the ZA install loads/saves/executes (I don't know) some GLB temp files in windows/temp. I can't see anything on the za forum web-site to suggest a solution.

Reply to
Jas
Loading thread data ...

It's talking about a symantec product. But since you (recently re-build/re-loaded), maybe you got to have that root certificate on the machine.

Long

formatting link
Short

formatting link
If that is your fix, then the next time will be Google is your friend.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The obvious solution of not using any personal "firewall" crap and getting some serious security measures didn't come to your mind?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

"Duane Arnold" > machine (recently re-build/re-loaded). I'm getting a 'root certificate'

formatting link

Taa. I was trying to make it bullet proof before going on the internet, but I see I'll have to visit Mr Microsoft first. This install of windows is (obviously) not fully up to date. I'm sure ZA must be using similar checks to symantec.

Reply to
Jas

Do explain/expand. Is ZA not considered a firewall or a serious security measure ?

Reply to
Jas

ZA is not a firewall, it's a host-based packet filter and a pretty lousy one.

Obviously it's not serious, as tries to employ application control without any sandbox or whatsoever, autoblocking, strange data filtering (which actually results in publishing the seemingly-protected data), content blocking with inapprociate methods... The vendor is a scumbag (due to both ridiculous claims about his software and the underhand spying) and the quality of the software is very poor.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

If you want to know what FW(s) are then the links will tell you. ZA in the case of protecting a single machine at the machine level is not FW software as it doesn't separate two networks. The network it's protecting from the Internet and the network it's protecting the LAN.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

win98se

certificate'

jas, I've used ZAPro for years, and well satisfied with it's performance. I think you'd do better to go to the ZoneLabs User Forums, register, and ask your question. There doesn't seem to be any newsgroups for general personal firewall problems. Good luck.

charlie R

>
Reply to
charlie R

(Could you please fix your totally broken quoting?)

means: you never considered a security auditing to spot numerous defects

Hm... might be the best option if you just want to hear what you like to hear. But then you shouldn't ask in first place, or maybe just for a teddy to comfort you in your pinky world where ZA is not a piece of crap.

Correctly. So-called personal firewalls are neither real firewalls nor comparable to them, and they don't have much in common with real security measures.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

In addition to a hardware/router firewall I have used ZA Pro for years and has worked well. Lets me know what parts of an application want unneeded access to confidential files or connectivity. Blocks from within with popups if you like.

Reply to
John

means: you didn't do any auditing to detect those numerous defects that actually make it a big security problem

Files? Lol.

So, I'm doing the same with TcpView or other netstat derivates.

But how is that related to security? None of these solutions works against malicious software.

Only works with software which allows to be controlled, and this is obviously no threat. Beside that, there is no need to do so, as there's really nearby no legitimate software which does not follow a correct configuration regarding networking behaviour.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

The first? It depends whom you're asking.

The letter? IBTD!

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You are fooled by your "Personal Firewall". This does not work at all. Just read the discussion here of the last weaks about this topic, please.

Only if you're using Internet Exploder, which you don't need to.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Taa all. Got round to do this yesterday. Win updates done and ZA installed. Should be more protected now, at least from 'accidental' infection from nasties. I think AVG & ZA & router's firewall ought to keep this pc in a much happier state.

Reply to
Jas

Good for you. Works for me.

Reply to
John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.