Need help with ZoneAlarm config - DNS lookup fails when computer wakes up from sleep

I have a problem with ZoneAlarm configuration. My computer runs a rebranded version of ZoneAlarm behind a router. My computer is configured to go into sleep mode after a period of inactivity. When it comes out of sleep mode, programs on the computer will generally be unable to access the Internet. However, I would still be able visit recently-visited websites from my browser. That, and other symptoms, points to DNS lookup failure as the immediate cause of the problem.

I've had this problem before with some versions of ZoneAlarm, but through upgrading/reinstalling/tweaking somehow the problem went away. I don't know what config options cause the problem to appear/disappear. One thing, the automatic lock feature is off.

Can someone help?

Reply to
MKR
Loading thread data ...

That's due to the pages for a given site you have visited recently were cached on the computer so the browser went there and got the pages. Had you went to a Web site, that you had not visited recently, you would have gotten *page not found".

It could be the fact that you don't have a connection with the machine anymore to the router, which will cause a no Internet access. The machine may not be using an IP on the router anymore. The machine could be using the 169 IP at that point that's not going to allow it to access the Internet, since the machine is not using a DHCP or static IP on the router.

Have you tried IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to see if that will get a connection back to the Internet?

What was the IP that the machine had when you entered IPconfig /all at the DOS Command prompt before you did anything else with the machine as far as making it access something on the Internet?

If ZA is giving you the problem, then get rid of it and find something else.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The ability to access recently-access website is not an illusion caused by cached pages. I can get *fresh* content from those sites. It looks to me like a DNS lookup problem -- the recently visited websites still have the results of the previous lookups cached somewhere, so either no new DNS queries are generated or the new DNS queries are answered with cached answers somewhere (I don't have a good guess as to where that might be though).

Reply to
MKR

Well ping something with the ping command by IP. You don't have to look-up anything via DNS. Can you do it when the machine comes out of that wake-up mode?

If ZA is the problem, get rid of it and find something else.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Try Kerio, it dosen't slow your computer down, they charge for it, but we still have the free version up on our site. You can set it up at

formatting link
(use shields up), Regards

• formatting link
    (No Logs Internet Surfing)
  • Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels
  • Anonymous Mail & News through SSH-2 Tunnels
  • Free Resources and Privacy Software
Reply to
(admins) privacyoffshore

*sigh*
formatting link
VB.
Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.