I did something stupid - now am wondering what to do...

Wipe out and reinstall Windows. This is another reson to have Norton Ghost, and a second hard disk, and regularly make image backups of your HD. I ghost my machines once a month to get rid if any malware that might be lurking there without my knowledge.

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

That is true, that is the only way to be sure your system is completely clean. Of course one guy in one of the broadcasting groups will insist that you can get away without a reinstall, but he is wrong, and the only way to fix a compromised system is to wipe out and reinstall Windows.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Late last week i downloaded a win98SE "service pack" that was at

formatting link

After I installed it, Norton AV was stopped and several other things did not work properly.

I cleaned out some "spy ware" using adaware and spybot. I used F-prot in DOS and found IR.exe and cleaned that out.

Norton AV still does not install. I cannot do their on-line security (aka do I have a virus) scan.

When I re-boot during startup there is a DOS-like box (in red) that states that the NAV virus definitions cannot be loaded up. This is in spite of my deleting Systemworks from the installed programs and minimizing the files that load up during start up (using msconfig).

Suggestions?

Yes, I know this is a "firewall" group, but.......

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ken Canada

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Why would you download a "Microsoft" service pack from anywhere except Microsoft?

What do you know about

formatting link
- do you know them well enough to trust them with your system?

Restore your system from your backup - you doooo have a backup, right?

Once a system is compromised, unless you are willing to have something possibly not cleaned, the only way to ensure it's clean is to wipe it and reinstall.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news:MPG.1d6337eb487724a2989b47@news- server.columbus.rr.com:

I agree with your point, but I'd also ask, "Do you trust Microsoft well enough to trust them with your system?"

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

You got some other choices here you want to let us know about?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yes, I actually do. I design secure Microsoft and Linux solutions for businesses across the USA. I've been working with computers since 76, and in all that time we've never had a single computer compromised while following our methods and using our designs.

Microsoft is very clear about security and how to secure systems, even though they ship with the idea of being open to make life easier for users, they are quite easy to secure.

Reply to
Leythos

Based on what I've seen of the OP's post and methods, having XP would not have helped him. The OP has either downloaded and install a bad driver or downloaded what they though was a driver and actually contained a virus - either action would not have been prevented by XP+SP2.

Since he was running AV software before the problem, I suspect that AVG would not have done any good either.

Reply to
Leythos

Good points, mate. We can still try and educate, maybe an upgrade and the experience may prevent a reoccurrence? :)

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

As the others have said, reinstall, if you can, look at an upgrade to XP. With sp2 and hotfixes, it's pretty secure, plus the inbuilt fireware with default settings will stop anyone from outside establishing a session into your pc. Maybe use Firefox instead of IE. Try using AVG-antivirus

formatting link
this is the free version. Also, use Microsoft's Antispyware, it's free and works well.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, OZ

Reply to
Wayne

Bad form .. but "fireware" should read 'firewall" :)

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

LOL

Reply to
Smiley Burns

I will live and learn. F-Prot in DOS shows no virus.

I will copy my data files onto removable media. Then I will clean/format etc the HD and re-install the OS, MS patches and go from there. 98SE will still be the OS. I cannot afford XP right now. 98SE still works "good enough".

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.