WindowsXP sp2 firewall

Better than nothing.

Reply to
NeoSadist
Loading thread data ...

Hello

How good is the new firewall that came with the sp2?

Larry Brewer

Reply to
Larry Brewer

The only thing that has changed is that a window pops up if an application wants to listen to the Internet.

Still no option to reject packets instead of dropping them, but at least unlike many other "personal firewalls" you can set it to allow incoming ICMP echo requests.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Even if you hear that it's perfect, please wait until it's been in the wild for a couple months before you start trusting it.

Reply to
Leythos

Good depends on what you eXPect from it to be.

For me, it replaced Zone Alarm.

Reply to
Ronald

XP SP2 itself says'adequate until you get a third party FW' as I recall.

Reply to
M. Treloar

M. Treloar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

And what is it that you recall? XP's SP 2 FW will be able to do one thing that no 3rd party PFW solution can do without some registry hacking and that's get to the TCP/IP connection first at boot.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Bet Microsoft hated that program. I know I was supprised when it first came out and I installed it. Next time I called up the file explorer, Zone Alarm caught it trying to call home when I asked file explorer to search my D drive.

MS seems to helped ZA into the ditch,

formatting link

Reply to
Bit Twister

The SP2 firewall monitors incoming traffic, but not outgoing traffic. You still need something like Zonealarm to manage the way your programs connect to the internet and to catch Trojans.

Reply to
swingman

still need something like Zonealarm to manage the way your programs connect to the internet and to catch Trojans.

"s/something like Zonealarm/common sense/"

Thor

Reply to
Thor Kottelin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.