Why does svchost.exe 'dial out' and where's it going?

comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,alt.comp.networking.firewalls Why does svchost.exe 'dial out' and where's it going?

Someone who knows little about computers installed a personal firewall recently on a Windows XP Home box and asked me why svchost.exe automatically connected to:

64.4.21.125 MS Hotmail MSHOTM, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052. US

212.73.245.62 Level 3 Communications, 100 Leman St, London E1 8EU, United Kingdom

84.53.135.16 Akamai Technologies, 8 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142

I don't know much more but

-I assume the MS link is the updating checker.

- Is the link to Level 3 Communications to register for DNS or other purposes whilst linked as a node to the internet? Will the PC connect OK without this link?

- Who are Akamai Technologies and what is their interest?

Reply to
Borked Pseudo Mailed
Loading thread data ...

comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall,alt.comp.networking.firewalls

svchost.exe is a generic service doing the connection for whatever program requested it, normally it's windows own update checks, time syncing etc.

Akamai runs fileservers for microsoft update packages.

level3 runs DNS lookup servers, afaik.

/Rolf

Reply to
Rolf Blom G (AS/EAB)

Why don't you provide any relevant details?

Their provide load balancing for big consumers, like Microsoft.

Next time, before you ask, do some RTFM. Microsoft has fully documented all communication features in Windows XP.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Uh oh. Now you've done it... You've has pissed off Sebastion.

What's the matter, Sebastian? The kids in the neighborhood beat you up, again?

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.