What is TrueVector Internet Monitor?

My brother has recently in the last few months brought up certain "topics" in conversation that I had recently viewed on the web a few days before hand. The information was so off the wall that it can't be a coincidence - I think he is using some kind of hidden tracking or logging software to spy on my internet usage. I clear temp files and history and other cached data all the time. I also have software that erases recently viewed information/caches. I am convinced he is using some kind of logging software, and viewing the log to see where/what I was doing. He will not admit to this, so I would like some help.

I looked at all the Programs (WinXP: START | ALL PROGRAMS) and could not find anything that would log/track intenet usage. Then from the command prompt I typed "msconfig" and under the SERVICES tab I found "TrueVector Internet Monitor" running. I know that this has something to do with a ZoneAlarm product, but I could not find any ZoneAlarm programs running on my machine (I have never loaded this or used ZoneAlarm). What is this and could someone use this to produce an output log of all internet pages viewed and visited? If a log could be produced, how/where on my computer could I find the log? Would they be able to view a secure email account, such as Yahoo email? I always sign out when I leave, but would such a program be able log screen shots so someone could view secure inbox and sent pages without logging in?

I have a cable modem and the company I use provided me with firewall and anitvirus software called EZ Armour and EZ Trust. This is made by Computer Associates. Does TrueVector service come along with this CA software? I used to run Sygate Personal Firewall on this same PC - could TrueVector be left over from Sygate?

Help! Thank you.

Reply to
the_toy_cannon21
Loading thread data ...

Since TrueVector is running along with the Cable companies service, is this something that my brother could have "tweaked" the settings on to create a log of all sites visited? Does TrueVector have a log that would be output somewhere on my machine?

I may be barking up the wrong tree with TrueVector being the spyware he is using. If anyone has any other ideas as to what I might do to see what he is running, I would appreciate it. I can't find anything else in the All Programs. Can I view a history within the last year or so of what software has been loaded onto my machine?

Reply to
the_toy_cannon21

No network. We are using the same computer. Not using a router or a NAT device. We just plug the cable modem into the NIC.

Reply to
the_toy_cannon21

I have Adaware SE and Spybot S & D. Would these be able to find software that my brother may have loaded to spy on my Internet activity? I had never been too concerned about being spied upon "from a distance" (by people I don't know). I mean, I don't have any secure info I'm worried about getting hacked. Rather, just personal stuff my bro doesn't need to know. But, if my brother is spying, then that is a little more alarming to me and I must put a stop to it.

Reply to
the_toy_cannon21

something

logging

Reply to
charlie R

-snip-

A simple google search reveals that EZ Armour/Trust also uses the TrueVector 'spyware'. Nowadays being 'free' often means 'being spied upon'.

/Rolf

Reply to
Rolf Blom

Are you using the same computer? Or are you on a local network with your brother's computer? Do you have a router or NAT device? Many of them log outbound connections.

Reply to
CyberDroog

The Truevector service is part of Zonealarm (EZ Armour is a rebranded version of ZA) and it's not used to spy on you and he won't have 'hacked' it.

If you're concerned that you are being spied on have you tried looking for any nasties on your computer? If you haven't then find Adaware SE & Spybot S & D, you can do a google for them, run them and see what they come up with. You should also be running some form of anti-virus software, try Avast if you don't already have anything.

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

Just to add to the truevector thread. I recently had a problem with my pc, was hacked by something(still not sure what), my ezlite firewall(truevector), was disabled by the hacker, when i got it back the logs had been deleted so I could find no trace of what happened. I got my crocked system back with a combination of spybot,adaware and trend anti-virus. I had removed ezlite as it clearly was not doing the job it was meant to. However now I am back in the land of the living I have tried to update my virus deffs for trend and I get a message from trend saying it has blocked internet access cos I maybe being hacked! (a bit bloody late now methinks). Anyway I can find no trace of trend or ezlite or anyting else running on me pc. How the hell does this happen? Checked progs, checked processes running but cannot find it. No trace of vsmon which i believe is one of its components. Any suggestions??? Cant go on with true vector blocking all me updates,the message says to open it up and change the settings but have nothing to open up! cheers!

Reply to
tim2108

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.