No Kerio and No Sygate and then what?

At the moment I'm running Sygate Pro. But since it's been bought by Symantec, I have the strong feeling that I wont be running it for much longer because I don't want symantec bloat and bugs.

Then there was the possibility of Kerio but that's gone.

Any info on the (affordable) stingray hardware firewall?

formatting link
Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

I'm running Nod 32, a Linksys NAT router and Sygate.

I run several antispyware programs at least once a week.

TUA

Louise

Reply to
louise
Loading thread data ...

Hi Louise, Have you thought about continuing to use Sygate Pro. I plan to do just that--it has served me well for 4-yrs and has created no problems. Stop and think about all of the features that Sygate offers. Rule parameters consist of applications, allow/block, hosts, IPs, macks, ports (remote/local), in/out/both, protocols (tcp/udp/icmp), etc.. Ask yourself what more is there to control/ whats lacking... Now much--of course there is no control of local host but thats not serious for most users. In Sygate Pro, tale a look at tools/options/security.. There are about

18 or 20 oustanding security features that are selectable. It would be quite a loss not having them. One important thing we would loose is signature updates for the intruder detection system. It appears these updates go into Sygate file trojan.dat. (this is not a txt file but can be viewed with a test editor) There is a listing of malware that Sygate blocks. Should you continue to use Sygate, make a copy of this file for use if you ever needed to reinstall Sygate. We can supplement the remaining signatures with our anti-virus/anti-trojan software and use a Hosts file such as MVPS host.
formatting link
luck Casey p.s. if you should ever find something better than Sygate or even as good, please let us know
Reply to
Casey Klc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.