Any basic application control apps for Windows server?

Yeah, I know they aren't perfect. Security isn't the concern here. I use plenty of other things for that. I'd just like something simple and similar to ZoneAlarm or Sygate's interface but limited only to application control.

Mostly to keep tabs on shareware apps with ad-ware or ones that phone home excessively.

Reply to
Spender
Loading thread data ...

This is comp.security.firewalls!

Why?

This won't work. BTW, what about not installing ad-ware?

And what application does "phone home"? I have yet not seen any such, well, except one: ZoneAlarm.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Yes, I know, I posted the message here. It seems to me that since application control is included in so many PFW's that someone here might be familiar with a stand-alone application.

Or did you know that and just like to comment on everything?

Reply to
Spender

Better said: This is another reason why PFWs are not suitable as real firewalls.

This is comp.*security*.firewalls. Your question would be more suitable for comp.*software*.misc if security is no concern.

Anyway, without a concept what you want to achieve there is no such thing like control, especially not application control.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I believe your sinple requirement can be met with Sygate. (I'm not sure what you mean by "keep tabs on shareware applications") You could setup Applications/Advanced Application Configuration only. Also, you could use the excellent Sygate traffic log to see what applications/services are connecting/attempting to connect to internet (In/out).

You would want to disable all of the Sygate functions under Options and probably create no Advanced Rules. Casey

Reply to
Casey

This doesn't apply to XP unless you turn off all of the crappy usually unused services that get to internet thru service host. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.