What is best way to protect my PC/laptop from spyware/adware?

I have a desktop & a laptop connected via Belkin wireless router 7230, my laptop has just had spyware / adware on it & was trying to send emails in the background but NAV2005 stopped them.

Win XP notified me that spyware had been installed & I have now, I think, removed all spyware / adware. (Used Microsoft's Antispyware, is there something better?)

I have NAV2005 on laptop & NIS2002 on PC, my router has the firewall enabled.

What is the best way to protect my PC & laptop without being to complicated?

Although NIS2002 on my PC is old I do have updates via Liveupdate is this enough or do I need to get a more recent version? (Or are the live updates keeping it fully up to date?) and do I need NIS on my laptop or is NAV2005 enough?

Do I also need to be using something to detect spyware / adware or should NAV/NIS be enough?

Thanks for reading Your reply is appreciated. TIA Lyzzy

Reply to
Lyndsey Scott
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

The latter. Just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I am not saying they are beter but some use Ad-Aware of SpyBot both are free.

Go to the O/S

formatting link

It's always best to keep up to date with new releases of such software, IMHO.

See above

You may want to do something here too.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Some comments;

- keep your machine up to date on Microsoft Update.

- Work smart. Don't click on anything you don't understand. This is *very* hard, pesonally, and in a company LAN situation training staff is almost, but you still have to try. In a very large coorpration, early in the days of spyware I found that a small number of people cought spyware on a regular basis and many never did.

- I just installed this /etc/host file and I'm *very* happy. I don't get *any* popups and if I should get some spyware it probably won't be able to do anything.

formatting link

- I recommend a hardware firewall on any home broadband connection. This can be as simple as a home dsl modem router in the default configuration. This stuff is free for the asking when people upgrade to WiFi, etc.

Reply to
Al Dykes

1. If you're using Internet Explorer, switch to a different browser.
  2. Turn off Javascript and Java. Most spyware/adware gets onto your computer via ActiveX (not usually an issue with non-IE browsers) or Java/Javascript. Turn these off and you won't have problems with malware. If certain sites require one of these, many browsers let you enable it for that site. Be careful which sites you trust, e.g.
    formatting link
    is probably OK, while
    formatting link
    is probably not.
Reply to
Jerry Gardner

A firewall really isn't going to help stop Spyware / Adware / Malware from being installed and causing problems. It *might* stop them from "calling home" but its not going to stop them from being installed and trying to call home. In other words really slow down your web experience. First clean up all the Spyware on your system now (see other suggestions) then install something like the Symantec Internet Security Suite or the ZoneAlarm Suite. Both now do a very good job from stopping this stuff from entering your computer in the first place. Then install (and use) Firefox with Adblock on NoScript extensions. If you do these two things you'll probably never have to worry about Spyware (etc) again.

John Herron - CISSP

formatting link
IT Security - Documents, News and Commentary

Reply to
google

get Spywareblaster to control ActiveX :-)

Reply to
Jeff B

It's not possible to control ActiveX beside not using Internet Explorer at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thanks for all your replys, will hopefully be spy & ad-free from now on!

Cheers Lyndsey

Reply to
Lyzzy

Has anyone had any experience/luck with SpywareGuide's Spyware Block List File?

formatting link
As Volker pointed out, NOT using IE makes all of this moot.

Ron :)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

And knowing what you're doing and not have the happy fingers clicking on everything makes this moot too.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I'm having problems with my network now, as mentioned before I'm using a Belkin wireless router 7230 to link my laptop with my desktop. My desktop is also wireless connected to my router with a Belkin dongle.

I can open files saved on my desktop pc with my laptop but cannot open files saved on my laptop with my desktop pc unless I turn off Windows firewall on my laptop (I have file & printer sharing ticked on my laptop & desktop)

I have read somewhere about Sygate Personal Firewall is this better than Windows Firewall or am I better trying to work why Windows Firewall wont let me file share documents on my laptop.

TIA Lyzzy

Reply to
Lyzzy

Yes. And this is a good idea.

No.

Better let it so. Use your Desktop as file sharing platform.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.