Free HTTPS tunnel: Calling for beta testers

The Barracuda HTTPS tunnel allows you to encrypt arbitrary TCP connections inside SSL. The HTTPS tunnel allows you to secure non-SSL aware services such as TELNET, FTP, VNC, etc., by having the HTTPS tunnel provide the encryption. The HTTPS tunnel can also be used, for example, to tunnel traffic out from behind a restrictive firewall/proxy that only allows outgoing HTTPS web connections.

formatting link

Reply to
Wilfred Nilsen
Loading thread data ...

Why are you multiposting instead of crossposting?

More importantly, why would I care? It's not free in the sense I care about, and doesn't seem too useful without the proprietary server, plus stunnel can do exactly what you describe but is a time-tested, Open Source program based on known-good technology instead of newest-wizbang-over-HTTP.

And your VPN concept looks exceedingly like OpenVPN over HTTP, so I see no sense not to kick the middleman and just use OpenVPN. Over httptunnel, if that is for some inane reason necessary.

All in all, keep your spam to yourself.

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Something like that is not that difficult to do. The figure skater in Novosibirsk, Russia, that I chat with, uses something akin to that from work, so she can log on to our figure skating coverage, and the admins at her workplace in Novosibirsk cannot figure out what she is up to. THey would know she is making encrypted connections to various proxy addresses all over the world, but her employer in Novosbirsk, where she works when not competing on the international circuit, cannot figure out what she is up to because the traffic is encrypted. Services like yours are very valuable ti people who might like to sneak on and get the latest action from their favourite sporting event. The boss knows you are up to something, but would never be able to find out WHAT.

Reply to
chilly8

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1133657445.027227.272240 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

firewall/proxy

The fact that she was all over the Internet would be a clue that she was not doing her job. Anyone with half a brain could figure that out and directly approach her as to what she was up to.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Spammer collection site - hope you people have anonynizers running.

and our little nym-shifter troll who wouldn't notice an 18 wheeler driving through his living room

Duane - it's a stupid troll who is unable to even think that hard. Ignore it.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Joachim,

I made a mistake posting to this group. This group is for routers and is not therefore not appropriate for BarracudaDrive.

Sure it is time tested and that is why I am calling for beta testers.

OpenVPN is and awesome product and much better than an IPSEC solution, but VPN has nothing to do with a tunnel. You got this all mixed up, you better start reading a book dude.

There is no reason to be so grumpy, or are you just trying to be obnoxious?

-Wilfred

Reply to
Wilfred Nilsen

Okay, not a problem.

Makes sense, yes.

Hmm, reading is always good (though there's a comment about routers and firewalls just waiting to be made...). That being said, could you please explain to me what's so new about your program?

As I see it, communications can be secured and can pass firewalls just fine over OpenVPN, IPsec, or any other number of VPN solutions; I am well aware that a VPN is not the same as a tunnel, but it seems to be pretty much capable of producing anything your product can. And I named OpenVPN as it is easy to set up and has some of the same concepts, notably SSL.

And when tunneling is desired, not a full-blown VPN solution, why would I choose Barracuda over stunnel, httptunnel, or any other number of Free OSS solutions? (Most of which can be persuaded to work together for some really neat tricks).

As to that, you're right. I was a little angered at the spam in some other groups, not to mention my mailbox, not to mention our web-forum; and while I'm fairly certain I do not like, or see any uses for, your product, that's no reason to start calling people spammers. Sorry.

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Well, I do not think you can bypass a corporate proxy, which requires authentication with Stunnel?

Anyway, the server also includes a DHTML (no plugin required) real-time chat program and a multi user HTTPS file server. The HTTPS file server can be used with a few client python scripts that make it possible to simultaneously copy data to multiple servers.

-Wilfred

Reply to
Johan

I was going to say 'you can with httptunnel', but it turns out you can't. Yet. So one point for Barracuda. (Although patching httptunnel is likely to be cheaper, and bypassing corporate security tends to make the security guy go ballistic...)

The rest is neat, admittedly, but nothing that an enterprising admin with some background knowledge could not cobble together from Open Source stuff within a couple of days (some ircd, Apache+WebDAV, and some scripts in a language of choice).

Then again, I am biased towards OSS, and don't have the money to be a customer, so who cares?

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

The Barracuda Embedded Web-Server is a commercial product, but BarracudaDrive, which includes the file manager, chat etc. is freeware. You might be a very experienced/programmer, but many users find this tool very useful. We have had a steady increase in downloads, which is currently at 2000 a day.

Reply to
Johan

Not really. If I'm good at anything, it's sysadminning.

Ah well, might have a look someday, but don't hold your breath... ;-)

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.