2960 connectivity issue

Just swapped a 2950 10/100 switch with a 2960 Gigabit switch. Our servers on the switch are Dell Poweredge (win2003) running broadcomm gigabit nics. We have 2 servers that are having an issue now....when pinging from another server on the same switch (or anywhere else on the network), the 1st ping will time out, then the rest will go through fine. Ping again, all respond ok. Wait about 5 or 6 minutes...and the 1st will time out again. The only thing that has changed is the switch. Ports were configured using the "desktop" setting on smartports and the config is below...all ports are the same.

interface GigabitEthernet0/2 switchport mode access switchport port-security switchport port-security aging time 2 switchport port-security violation restrict switchport port-security aging type inactivity macro description cisco-desktop spanning-tree portfast spanning-tree bpduguard enable

I made sure the power off when not in use option was unchecked for NIC and have also updated the NIC drivers. My understanding is the if it was a portfast issue it would be a 30 second delay...this is more like

5 seconds. Any ideas on why with the gigabit switch change this is occuring? Am I not supposed to use the "desktop" setting for servers? Again, it's only on 2 servers (nothing in the event logs).
Reply to
The Other Mike
Loading thread data ...

From my understanding, the MAC address only remains in the CAM table for 5min prior to aging out. If after 5min of no switch activity, the server's MAC address will be removed from the CAM. Have you tried statically configuring the server's MAC address/corresponding port.

I'm a newb so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Reply to
Riotact

Suggest you lose the desktop stuff for server ports and only configure portfast

Reply to
Merv

Riotact wrote

I'd prefer to increase the CAM table timer.

Reply to
stephan

Worked like a charm...haven't had the delay in about 3 hours. Thanks!

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not necessary. Every time a packet is received by the switch, the CAM is updated. As long as the device is sending packets, it will never age out of the CAM table.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.