Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

Yes, there is a clear indicator that she was setup with an Encrypted link to a residential site - as long as the policy does not permit such links she could have her internet connection suspended.

If she was found to have surfed, by means of inspecting her computer for some reason, she could also have her connection suspended.

It doesn't matter if the can see INSIDE the tunnel, it's only that a tunnel is setup between two sites - and that tunnel is easy to see. Any admin could easily spot that and then question it.

Reply to
Leythos
Loading thread data ...

To break Company/School policy for any reason is unethical - it doesn't matter what the reason, and a personal reason makes it even more unethical, it's unethical to break policy when one exists.

You are unethical.

Reply to
Leythos

Are you dumb? As administrators, they have full control over the client, and could (technically) monitor whatever they want - including the execution of programs, URLs, screenshots, keyboard and mouse input...

Reply to
Sebastian G.

This was HER computer in HER dorm room. She would connect to her parent's computer from her own personal computer in the dorm room. Since it was her own personal computer, there would be no keyloggers, or anything like that put in by the university. Since the computer, in this case, was her property and not the school's property, they would have no way to use keyloggers or screenshot makers, or anything like that there.

Reply to
Chilly8

This was HER computer, and was HER property, and NOT that of the unversity. That was done from her dorm room.

Reply to
Chilly8

, .

I had a cousin some years ago in who wanted to check up on his chidlren.. He worked at an office quite a ways away, with a long commute to work, so I set him up on my proxy, at the time, where he could log in to his home computer, and check up on what his then teenage children were up to. It is NOT unethical to help a parent check up on their children, which I was doing in both cases. As far as *I* was concerned, he was excerising his PARENTAL RIGHTS to know what his chidren were up to, and so giving him acccess to do that was NOT unethical.

Reply to
Chilly8

But it was not HER network connection but of the university which probably provided her with a free internet connection in her dorm room with certain restrictions and rules. It is unethical. She broke rules of a service which was provided free to her.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

However, her parents were fully within their legal rights to provide her with that encrypted connect. The TOS for their particular broadband provider allowed them to set up such a connection, so her parents were in the clear.

Reply to
Chilly8

It is unethical to help someone break company rules which are implemented to protect the company networks and network resources.

He has a lot of rights but that does not give him the right to break rules or laws.

So if he saw that his children were up to something and he jumped into his car to speed back home, breaking speed limits, breaking street laws, you would consider that, too, his parental right to check on his children and thus ethical? If you helped him to get quickly through some radar checks your doing would be ethical to help him to exercise his parental right?

Or if he knew that from time to time his children would stay at some friend's place and he wanted to excersice his parental rights there, too, and he would thus secretly install some bugs and hidden cameras there because the friend's parents would never agree to that would you consider this ethical as well because it is just a parental right to check on his children? And if you help him to do that you think you are ethical?

If you agree to work somewhere or agree to use some network resources at a dorm room you agree to comply with some rules. You usually sign those rules. Otherwise you would not get the job or you would not get network access granted. Breaking those rules is unethical. You agreed to comply with them and now you break them. You are always free to work somewhere else at a place with different rules or use some other way to access the internet at your dorm.

Now, if you help someone breaking those rules you are unethical.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

So, you keep showing that YOU and people you know and help have a long unethical history of violating company policy for personal benefit.

You and they are unethical.

Reply to
Leythos

You don't seem to understand, the students often sign or agree to having their communications monitored as part of the agreement for network service.

Reply to
Leythos

No, the parents do not have ANY right to help her violate network policy, not at all.

If the TOS permits remote connections for the purpose of surfing the web, to bypass restrictions, then yes, it would be permitted - but there is not a single school policy that states "You may use any means possible to subvert our network security or policy".

Reply to
Leythos

Its the parents computer, and they can allow ANYONE to access their machine they want, as long as the AUP of the ISP allows the operation of servers from your connection. The parents where NOT breaking ANY laws provding their duaghter with the means to bypass the Bess filter. The computer back home in Kansas was the PROPERTY of the PARENTS, therefore they had the LEGAL RIGHT to allow anyone to access the machine they wanted, and, therefore, were NOT breaking ANY laws, in Kansas, where the parents lived. The parents were NOT SUBJECT to ANY prosecution for allowing their duaghter to access their home computer, under Kansas law.

Its the same with all of us that operate public proxy servers, by they web proxies, Tor proxies, or whatever. We are NOT breaking ANY laws by allowing public access to our proxies. And since NONE of my proxies are in the United States, what comes through my proxy is NOT SUBJECT to United States laws.

Reply to
Chilly8

Using my proxy did NOT break ANY laws. I must say it AGAIN that using my proxy, to check up on his then-teenage children DID NOT break ANY laws.

Reply to
Chilly8

It did. Will you accept it finally?

(At any rate, why should we give anyone who abuses Outlook Express as a newsrader any technical and related juristic competence?)

Reply to
Sebastian G.

X-No-Archive: Yes

No it did NOT. Using a proxy is NOT a criminal offence. It if were, Tor, and other aonymity services would not even EXIST.

Reply to
Chilly8

I don't think so - he's an American! ;^)

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

And? The person who used your proxy broke corporate policies. Enough to get fired. You helped. You provided the service. Unethical.

You can do many things without breaking any laws. It does not mean that they are considered ethical.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Juristic offences don't solely consist of criminal offences... this one is clearly a civil law offence, specifically employment law.

Nonsense. The one who uses them is the offender, not the one who provides the service.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Chilly, you sure post a lot of crap on this newsgroup. Little, if any, of it is related to Firewalls.

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.