WLAN Planning

I was wondering if there is a general rule for how many access points to use per number of users that will be on a network. I am looking at an area that can easily be covered by 1 to 2 access points. My concern is that 2 access points won't handle the necessary bandwidth for up to

150 users. I know even on the router side with that many users I likely will get a lot of latency, especially during peak traffic times. I was looking at the 1130 a/b/g access points. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

David

Reply to
dnuckle
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
an interesting case study.

formatting link
some interesting measurements (that do not directly answer your question.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Depends on the size of the area you intend to cover, the cut-through and potential interference of the walls, objects, and even persons in the designated service area. With b/g you can co-locate up to three APs using non-overlapping channels for throughput aggregation. You can get even more non-overlapping channels if your clients can be constrained to 802.11a. You will want to spend some time designing your network so that even if you have an ideal number of users per access point, and that you have a good strategy for managing your traffic flow. From what I understand, APs are essentially shared medium like a hub, and congestion can be a severe problem, especially if your clients are not carefully managed and your limited number of APs have to fall back to b-only operation, etc. I've always used 1 AP per 40 users as a rule of thumb, but my site surveys rarely if ever correlated to that measure. On the other hand my networks have been generally over-built but I would rather spend little extra and never have to listen to anyone report connectivity problems that could not be solved at the client engineering level.

mark

Reply to
Mark Gallagher

Hi David,

Go to Cisco Tools:

formatting link

-----------------------------------

Cisco WLAN Productivity Savings Payback Calculator

-----------------------------------

Then click Calculate access points needed

Sincerely,

Brad Reese

2007 Cisco Salary Rates
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.