Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

X-No-Archive: Yes

I did turn one of my proxies back on for a few minutes to see what people are using my proxy for, when surfing from work, and I did see someone from Australia surfing various kinds of wedding-related sites.

Any employer that would ban sites for planning a WEDDING is NUTS. There is NOTHING unethical about using the company networks to surf wedding-related sites for planning a wedding. One's wedding day is a very SPECIAL day, and I feel that the corporate network that was obviously banning wedding sites needs to RETHINK their usage policies. There is NOTHING wrong OR unethical about suring wedding-related sites from work. I am glad to know that I was helping someone plan their wedding day without the boss knowing what they were doing. They will see a lot of connections to my proxy, but that person's boss, in Australia, will NEVER KNOW that employee was surfing wedding sites form work, and I feel good knowing that I was helping someone be able to plan their special day, from work, without the boss being able to know what he/she was up to.

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

This is why you would be fired if you worked for someone.

A company network is for COMPANY BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL BUSINESS.

Reply to
Leythos

A wedding is a verry SPECIAL occasion, and I see NOTHING wrong with surfing wedding-related sites from work, as long as you get your work done.

Reply to
Chilly8
  • Chilly8 :

Using company resources for non company things is likely against company policy. What part of that are you having trouble with? I'd love to see you actually own a company and have your staff doing what you suggest instead of what you are paying them for. How quickly would you change your tune?

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Again, it's not your call. In our customers networks we even block access to News and most other sites by default from Managers.

The company makes the rules, you either follow them or get a different company to work for.

In 90% of cases where people have access to non-company business sites, those people will waste company time and other resources on personal crap that costs the company money.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, I don't care what people do on my proxy, as long as its lawful in France and Mexico, where the main server, and backup servers are, respectfively. If some "office drone" wants to surf wedding sites through my proxy, they are more then welcome to do so.

Reply to
Chilly8

As long as they got their work done, I would not have a problem with that, or listening to online radio. As long as you get your work done, that is all that should matter.

Reply to
Chilly8

And that's why all of us consider you an unethical person.

Reply to
Leythos

Providing a public proxy is NOT unethical, and is LEGAL in France, and in Mexico, where my servers are. As long as what someone is doing in LEGAL in France, and in Mexico, I cannot be charged with any crime for operating a public proxy server. Because my servers are in France, and Mexico, they are ONLY subject to FRENCH and MEXICAN laws, and as long as what someone is doing does not violate either French or Mexican laws, I am in the clear.

Reply to
Chilly8

You are not in the clean then YOU ADVISE PEOPLE THAT BREAKING COMPANY POLICY IS PERMITTED, WHEN YOU ADVISE PEOPLE THAT THEY CAN NOT BE DETECTED OR MONITORED......

Your beliefs and statements are unethical, you tell people to violate company policy all the time in these groups.

Reply to
Leythos

I do it far more in the figure skating message boards. I often go into Figure Skating Universe or GoldenSkate, and tell people how to circumvent filtering system to access FSU or GS from work. Since NEITHER business (yes, both boards are run as a for-profit business) is based in the United States, ANY postings sent to either board is NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States law. So any posts I make on EITHER site telling people how to circumvent company filtering systems to get onto the board from work is NOT SUBJECT to ANY laws in the United States, becuase both businesses are based OUTSIDE the United States. Posts made to FSU, for example, are ONLY subject to BRITISH laws, because the business is based in BRITAIN. As such, the owners of Figure Skating Universe CANNOT BE COMPELLED to comply with ANY United States laws, and neither can anyone who reads from or posts to, the site.

Reply to
Chilly8

Chilly8 wrote, On 17/01/08 21:49:

Just because something is legal does not mean it is ethical. You keep failing to address the point that adding to the costs of a business that is against the companies rules, or advising something which will add to the costs, is NOT ethical. Legality is a separate issue.

Reply to
Flash Gordon

Well, last October, someone from a high school, in New York, was using my proxy to listen to a figure skating event we cover. That is becuase one student in the school was a entrant in that competition, and her school-mates were using my proxy, to circumvent the school filters, so that could listen as their school-mate strutted her stuff at that particular skating competition. I got some E-mail from one of them praising me for giving them the ability to circumvent the school's firewall and follow that competition their school-mate was competing in. Since they were merely following the competition their school-mate was in, I see NOTHING wrong with providing the means to get around the school filtering system, and tune in to our broadcast of that event.

Reply to
Chilly8

You see nothing wrong with advertising people to drive themselves into serious trouble? Now it's obvious that you are an idiot.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

But these were just kids. Circumventing the school's filtering system to listen as their school-mate performed at this particular figure skating event was certainly NOT something that was going to haunt them for the rest of their lives. They were NOT breaking any New York laws by using my proxy to tune in to the event.

No future employer is going to care much about something they did in high school, when they were teenagers.

Reply to
Chilly8

See, you support unethical activity, you help people circumvent rules put in place to protect the networks and resources. You are unethical.

Reply to
Leythos

Actually, many school systems have policy, signed by parents and kids, that permit the school to permanently disable their computer accounts for such violations.

You are unethical.

Reply to
Leythos
  • Chilly8 :

Chilly is english not your native language? I figure that has to be the reason why you can't grasp some basic simple facts.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Another good example, some years ago, was one girl who was a student at Bob Jones University. She told me that her parents did not agree with some parts of the Internet usage policy, so they set up an encrypted link on the parents broadband link at home. When she went to surf the Net, she would make an encrypted connection to her parents computer, and then surf the net from there. There is no POSSIBLE way the admins at Bob Jones University could EVER figure out what she was up to. They would know she was making an encrypted connection to her parents computer, but would never know where she was going beyond her parents computer. Bascially, her parents gave her a private link to circumvent the University's filtering system, and in the four years she was there, the university never got wise to what she was doing.

Reply to
Chilly8

To tune in, as their school-mate was competing at this skating event, to me, shows school spirit, and is NOT unethical.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.