Suggestions on a Hardware .:Firewall-Router:.

Hello.

I have recently had need to implement a blocked IP address (to test a software development issue, FWIW) on my Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Firewall-Router only to discover that my carefully configured rule failed to work properly. (Now I did my due diligence only to discover many are experiencing the same issues and not *good* link or FAQ's have remedied this problem which seems to effect many Linksys brand devices.)

My firmware is current. I flushed my DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns). Not interested in trying hacked/alternate firmware(s). I contacted Tech "support". No joy from the offered script-reading technician.

I would like some recommendations on other brands of firewall-routers that work as sold to block an IP address.

Netgear? Buffalo? DLink?

Looking in the $100 range.

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.

-_-

Reply to
-_-
Loading thread data ...

Which hardware version? What settings did you try?

Good. Have you tried a factory reset and reconfiguring it?

That has nothing to do with the blocking.

Why not? They give you far better control than the stock firmware.

Try e-mail instead. I eventually always got through to a real technician through e-mail.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

The flush was one of the KB/forum remedies I discovered. Meh.

Yes on all the resets and such.

Hardware version 1.1

If not too likely to kill the box entirely, please suggest some good firmwares and I may try them with your comment so compelling.

Thanks again.

-_-

Reply to
-_-

Are you trying to block an outgoing IP or an incoming IP?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I would suggest a real FW appliance solution like Watchguard, Snapgear, Sonicwall, Cisco and others.

You can get anyone of them used with full warrantee and 90 day support at a fraction of the original price from a reputable dealer for the appliances.

Netgear has a ICSA certified FW router and DLink has a FW router that suppose to be good. I don't remember the model number for the Dlink.

I would convert that Linksys wire/wireless AP router into a wire/WAP switch and plug in into a used or a new low-end FW appliance that will give you what you want in a solution.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I use hyperwrt+thibor on my wrt54g. dd-wrt is also very good though a little more complicated. But I think development is more active for dd-wrt then thibor thus you may get faster responses if you find a bug in there. The dd-wrt web site

formatting link
is worth reading even if you don't install the dd-wrt firmware, in particular the wiki. Openwrt I think is the third active developed firmware but it is more to assemble you own set of functions on the router while the other two started from the standard firmware...

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.