suggestions for router/fw?

I have had dialup until now but I'll soon be getting DSL. I'm not familiar with routers or hardware firewals and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions. I have 2 computers at home and I'd like to connect both to a router. Both computers have PFW. I'm also considering a hardware firewall. I don't want the 2 computers to share files, just to be able to access the internet. Neither computer runs any servers, no open ports, etc. I can spend up to $200-$300 (not including the modem). Any suggestions on how I can get the best protection for this setup with that budget?

Also, if anyone could suggest a web site with info for people who are just beginning to learn about routers, etc., I would appreciate it.

manuel

Reply to
EA
Loading thread data ...

EA wrote in news:Xns96491AC627085eid99@207.106.93.226:

I think it can be applied even for a home setup learning about the FW technologies.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Look at the NetScreen 5GT-ADSL.

If you get anything else then you're sharp as a marble.

Reply to
Munpe Q

If you are looking for a good home firewall the Watchguard SOHO6 is a great hardware firewall. I have one and it is very easy to setup and it also allows you to control outbound ports.

Reply to
Gary

Can the Watchguards be used in place of a NAT router? If so how? Don't these things require some kind of annual subsciption to use multiple client IPs?

Reply to
Jbob

"Munpe Q" wrote in news:1114965729.602015.112830 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I see you continue to be a PITA. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If the original poster is wanting to go the route of Watchguard I would recommend the Edge X5 which is essentially the replacement for the Soho6 at roughly the same price with a faster processor, faster throughput and quadruple the Memory and Flash (64 MB and 16 MB as opposed to 16 MB and

4 MB). The Soho 6 is close to EOL I believe. Only 2 branch office VPNs for the Edge X5 but one mobile as opposed to 6 and none with the Soho6.

Peter

Reply to
Peterg

"Jbob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

They usually come with a set number of users that can connect to the device. Like the FireBox III SHHO 6 has a 10 user license that comes with it. That means 10 DCHP IP(s) or static IP(s) or a combination of the two will be allows to connect to the device using one of the two types of LAN IP(s) that the appliance can offer.

And no you don't have to continue to update the subscription each year in order to get new firmware. Of course you cannot get new firmware without paying the subscription fee. It's not best to continuously update the firmware unless there is a security update to the firmware that would directly affect your situation. I don't plan on updating the firmware unless I am forced to do so for some reason.

There is a support fee that you can continue to subscribe to and there is

90 days of free support that comes with the device. But after that is up, you can always come to a NG like this one.

You need more IP(s) than 10 you pay the fee for the next level of license for multiple IP(s) beyond 10.

The Firebox III SOHO 6 firewall appliance replaced my Linksys NAT router.

Of course, WG is not the only manufacture that has low-end FW appliances. There Sonicwall, Snapgear, Cisco, Netscreen and others too.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The low end units come with a limited number of assignable private address IP's based on a first come first gets an IP method. They all provide NAT.

As for subscriptions, you need only to purchase the unit, get the setup disk/key (if your unit requires one) and then start using it. I have dozens of SOHO6tc units that no longer have a warranty or subscription that work just like the day I purchased them.

As for the higher-end units, they offer unlimited IP's on the protected networks, require a key to setup, but don't require a subscription UNLESS you want support/Updates. I have a number of Firebox II units that are no longer supported, can purchase warranty extensions/updates for, but work perfectly and still have viable management software.

Reply to
Leythos

Look at the Linksys WRT54GS for the router. It has much of what you need for a small network. Although it is considered a wireless router it also has 4 10/100 switch ports for wired links. If you do not wish to use the wireless features just turn that option off. I think that particular router has been looking very good by many who use it. The other linksys alternative is the BEFSX41 router. Although it is a great router Linksys/Cisco is having issues with firmware releases for that model for some reason. As such I am not sure I would recommend it to anyone at this time. So far the best firmwares are Beta ones which they cannot seem to take public without introducing other issues.

Another option for a more advanced firewall is to go to ebay and look for one of the older ones mentioned(Watchguard, etc) for a better price. I am considering doing that myself.

Reply to
Jbob

I'd like to thank all those who replied to my question...it was very helpful! Unfortunately, some of you suggested options that are beyond my budget. I need to contain the cost of this under $300 and that will include about $50 for network cables. So, I have an additional question:

I'm looking at the following options:

1. Linksys router with firewall features

1. Linksys plain router and a cheap (around 0) firewall appliance

2. A firewall for around 0, no router.

Which do you think is a better option for security? All machines run personal firewalls with rules for outbound traffic. Also, every machine has other security measures (antivirus, antitrojan, file integrity monitor, ProcessGuard, web exploits filters, users who are not totally ignorant :) ).

manuel

Reply to
EA

True except the 54GS is about the same price at the SX41 and does the same things except the 54GS does not provide the VPN endpoint/tunnel. VPN support with 3rd party firmware though. And with the 54GS you also have the option of Wireless if you decide to give it a try later. Both these models use true SPI while the SR41 does not. Is that important? Some think so but others don't. I will say the SR41 will probably suffice though.

Heck I just purchased a Viewsonic Wireless G router from CompUSA and got an instant rebate of $35.00 for an online purchase and added to that another $10.00 rebate from Viewsonic for a total cost of about $20.00 including shipping and taxes. Has the same thing the 54GS has minus one antennae. Is that cheap enough for ya??? ;-)

Reply to
Jbob

I hear you can get a low-end WG SOHO 6 used that comes with the 90 warrantee and support. But I don't have the post that was made about it that had the link. Maybe, someone can step in and assist you. That's a viable option too. Of course, the other manufacturers would most likely have this as well.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If you are doing all you say above, then all you need is simple NAT device

- a BEFSR41 will do it all for $50 US.

Reply to
Leythos

If he's not using wireless at this time, it's a waste to get a wireless device to find that a new (higher performance) device has hit the market later when he wants wireless. I never install a router and wireless in the same device, I use a Access Point so that I can cheaply change the wireless part as needed.

Reply to
Leythos

Again, thank you to all who replied. This was very helpful.

manuel

Reply to
EA

From all sources I have read guardsite is one of the most reputable. Here is a link to their site which happens, in my bookmark, to be at the Edge X boxes which are the replacements for the Soho 6 boxes. From this link you can see all the other units they offer, including the Soho units.

formatting link
Peter

Reply to
Peterg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.