House to be built next year, looking for suggestions.

I'm having a house built next year. I don't want to pay the builders' vendor to install the wiring that I want for some of things I would like to add. I want to have him instal a couple of PCV tubes to allow me to create and change as my budget/needs change over the years. So I thought if I had them install 4 PCV tubes that lead from the basement (unfinished) to the attic, I would be able to do a majority of the work myself. I would also have to have him instal any wires and components in the ceiling for the middle floor. I wanted to know if anyone has had similar experience, and what were their ideas/experiences.

I would like to build a server that would store all my music, and also be DVR capable. Could I create a wireless network, controlled by maybe a pocket PC which would allow me to direct the music, or video to whichever room I'm in at the time?

Obviously I'm in the very early stages, as my house will not be completed until April 2006. So I'm looking for suggestions.

Reply to
KizerSosey
Loading thread data ...

The best suggestion I could probably make is install tons more Cat5 than you ever think you'll need. The wire is cheap and can be used for a lot of different things! It's a lot harder adding it later (even with PVC tubes) than installing it up front. Will your builder let you get in there yourself to install some Cat5? Some will and some won't.

Martin Custer

formatting link

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

Better check your contract REAL close. A friend just signed with a home builder and he will be in breach of contract if he installs anything himself.

Reply to
SQLit

Which entirely misses his point about not using the contractor's services for installing it. That and often building inspection issues make it difficult to have the homeowner do it 'while the walls are open'.

Also code may not allow use of plain old PVC tubing installed in this manner. What you can get away with as a homeowner doing renovations is different than a builder constructing new. It'd more likely require using actual low-voltage conduit and appropriate junction boxes. You could simple have the conduits stubbed into single-gang boxes with enough extra length and positioning to allow cutting it off at a later time and replacing it with a better sized box.

A big-ole 4" conduit running from a 12" square junction box in the attic (or nearby closet) down to the likely place for wiring termination and another junction box might be a plan to consider. This way you're saved the hassle of getting everything pulled through each level. If at all possible using vertical runs and a junction box on each floor would be ideal. Either in a straight shot down through the whole house or one from each "major distribution point" on each floor. Bearing in mind the fishing hassles on both the top AND the bottom ends.

This does nothing to help the wiring from the j-boxes to the wall outlets but it's better than nothing. Running conduits to each wall outlet location might be considerably more expensive than just running the wire!

One thing the builder might be convinced to let them do is to string cord from each outlet to the edge (usually top) of the stud wall. This would make it easier at a later time to pull whatever other wires are needed. Letting you 'in there' to drill a 5/8" hole in the top (or bottom) of the stud wall and stapling a bit of string through it and then to the nearby outlet would save you a lot of hassle later on. You could just punch a fresh hole near the outlet, grab the string and easily run it to the hole. (Making sure to pull a replacement string for any later wiring needs)

As for costs, more often than not the developer is interested in making a buck doing the wiring all themselves but there are liability issues of letting you into the house before it's completed and the possible code violations, so it's not like a developer doesn't have risks to balance.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Undoubtedly WAY too much. Most panel PCs are /at least/ $1500.

A more cost effective soluti>

Reply to
wkearney99

I recommend taking a look at the Nobu inwall touchscreen PC with the Command Cubes software for whole home audio distribution.

Either company can get you pointed in the right direction for the music server.

formatting link
formatting link
~T

Reply to
Tyson

I met with the builder last night. He's going to run 5 smurf tubes for me n/c. Also, he basically said, that after he gets his inspection completed for all the high voltage wire. There will be a few days before drywall starts," ..now my insurance doesn't cover you out there, but if someone were to come in and pull low voltage wire, I wouldn't have a problem with that". So that makes things much easier.

I have a HP Pocket PC, that I would like to use as a wireless interface to the network within the house. A friend told me that I can network my TV's with a couple of Tivo boxes. I could start watching something in one room, and finish in another. That only works with stuff that is recorded.

I guess at this piont I'm going to be looking for a good starter kit for the structured wring. I see a lot of these online. I would like to be able to call someone, discuss what I want, and have some suggestions given. Any sites, or bussinesses you can suggest?

Thanks.

Reply to
KizerSosey

Yeah, that's a VERY nice arrangement to have with the developer. Just make sure you get it done and don't hold up his other work.

NetRemote from Promixsys is a nice app for remote control from a PPC. That and their girder program is also very useful.

There are several ways to do this. You can either have the Tivo in one place and send it's signal around to other rooms or have more than one Tivo in each place. I like the former as it reduces complexity and monthly subscription costs.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.