SonicWall Tele3 can't ping Gateway

Hi there, I'm not the greatest network troubleshooter and was hoping someone maybe able to help me.

I have a pretty standard connection with an ADSL modem LAN IP

10.0.0.138 and firewall WAN IP 10.0.0.1. My computer is plugged into the firewall LAP port and has a static IP address. I can browse the net, retreive email, etc but I can't seem to see the LAN IP of the modem (10.0.0.138) from my PC or the firewall. I can ping 10.0.0.1 (fw WAN IP) but I can't touch the LAN IP. The curious thing about this is when I plug directly into the modem I can ping/telnet, etc into the modem (ultimately I'm trying to telnet into it).

When I use the fw diagnostics and try to ping 10.0.0.138 I get a 'Not Responding' message.

Does anyone have any thought/ideas?

Thanks, Frank

Reply to
Frank
Loading thread data ...

What is the above mentioned static IP address?

Reply to
Dom

Is the sonicwall performing NAT?

Reply to
Dom

Is your firewall filtering away ICMP echo or echo reply?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

No not really. Under the network configuration the 'Network Addressing Mode' is NAT Enabled but I'm not performing any NAT.

Basically I have a modem connected to a firewall (mostly for VPN connectivity to my office) and then my computer.

Reply to
Frank

No, not really because when I ping virtually anything else I get a response. I can ping and tracert beyond the modem, it's just the modem that seems to be troublesome. And like I said before if I connect directly to the modem I can ping/telnet it without a problem.

Something in the firewall is preventing that sort of connectivity. I thought that perhaps it had to do with the way the WAN port was configured in that it can't communicate in an 'outward' manner in the same way that a LAN port can.

Reply to
Frank

Then the firewall is filtering ICMP echo and/or ICMP echo reply.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sounds like you are performing nat.

As far as I can tell, your topology is a bit like the following.

modem/nat/router__firewall/nat/router

I would go for something more like this.

bridge__firewall/nat/router

...or this.

modem/nat/router__firewall/router

Try adding a static route to the modem/nat/router: 10.10.10.0/24 via

10.0.0.1. See if that solves the issue.
Reply to
Dom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.