WinXP Firewall - Ping

Posted this in the XP groups first... no response.

I have this problem on only one of 8 computers. (Compaq Laptop with both wire and wireless NICs)

I do not recieve replies to my ping requests, initiated from any of my other boxes to this laptop, unless its Firewall is off. I have defined exceptions to allow ICMP but still it does not return pings unless I turn the firewall off. Other boxes are configured with firewall on, and to allow ICMP. They work as intended.

Ideas?

Thanks.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster
Loading thread data ...

No other firewalls. But keep in mind, if I turn the XP firewall off, it returns pings fine :)

This machine is one of many on the same internal network. It is plugged into the same physical switch that the working boxes are plugged into.

I must say, it is more than just a ping issue. Remote Desktop connections cannot be made to this box unless I turn the firewall off too. If the FW is off, it works fine. I have also allowed exceptions for Remote Administration, but no dice.

Routine file access from the network to this laptop is fine with the FW on. Map drives, copy files, etc., no problem.

The XP FW in this Compaq just seems to be not working as designed, or something. I'm confused. As far as I can tell it is set up just like all the other XP boxes but it acts differently.

Thanks,

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Yes, this was the problem, I guess.

If I disable the wired nic, the wireless nic will return pings. The wired nic will return pings even with both enabled. Only the wireless nic required the other to be disabled to work. My other laptop (dell) does not exhibit this behavior?

Hmm... maybe something about how the Compaq built-in Centrino (or similar) technology works? This machine has bluetooth too, however I don't use that. The working Dell laptop uses a Microsoft wireless adapter card.

Thanks.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Yeah, agreed. The only thing is, although I now know *why* it wasn't working the way I like, it still isn't working the way I like! LOL!

In order to get a ping response from a machine with two nics, you should not have to disable one or the other.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

I had a problem similar to this one one of my two computers. After Nortin Personal Firewall 2005, e-mail couldn't be sent from either Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird unles the firewall was diabled. Symantec;s tech help suggested several fixes, most of hwich took up a lot of my time, and none worked. I finally uninstalled the firewall and Norton System works with a program I downloaded from DSymantec's tech support site. Then I installed both programs again, Firewall first if that matters, and all is well.

I don't recall the name of the Symantec uninstall program, but you can find it by searching for uninstall+firewall.

Uninstalling with Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs doesn't clean up the registry well enough. You could clean the registry manually.

Reply to
Marvin

"Frankster" wrote in news:k4mdnZVczoyOqvPenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Any other firewalls in place? Norton AV?

Reply to
Spam Catcher

"Frankster" wrote in news:k4mdnZVczoyOqvPenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You got both NIC's enabled? Have you tried disabling one of the NIC(s) as the FW is attached to each NIC. Maybe with both NIC(s) enabled with FW active on both connections when only one is needed is your problem.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Frankster" wrote in news:zb2dnd0Nvuoe2fPenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sometimes, one has to look outside the box. I am a programmer by trade and I logically look at why things are not working program wise on the fly without being able to debug the code. I apply that logic to a lot of computer situations and I am right most of the time. :)

It seemed a logical solution to your problem when you mentioned the two NIC(s) and the XP FW and the possible doubled FW situation.

I am glad it worked for you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.