should I use a firewall if behind a router

Hi, I'm connected to the internet through a NetGear DG834G router. Should I use a firewall on my PC as well ? I've tried several already but I'm getting tired of being disconnected because they say the router sent a suspicious UDP request... There's nothing wrong with this router as far as I know, so I was wondering if I can get rid of any firewall on my machine ?

thx

Reply to
samuelberthelot
Loading thread data ...

If the router is wireless, than I would say keep the personal FW as someone can hack the wireless and be all over the top of your machines hacking them wired or wireless, which you could block the IP they would be using from your router as the join your network with the PFW if that happens.

Why don't you just create a FW rule with the PFW to accept the traffic from the Device IP of the router? The machine cannot be attacked by the router. No one is going to use or can use the Device IP of the router to attack a machine on the LAN wired or wireless. The router is just trying to communicate with machines on the LAN.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Supplement a network-based firewall with a host-based firewall to protect from the following.

• uPNP-enabled router
  • LAN hosts
Reply to
Dom

That is IF he changed the Default user and password to the Netgear. before someone was able to gain access to it

:-)

Reply to
Security Freak

Hi, Thank you for replying.

To Dom: don't need to protect from LAN hosts, unless my flatmate becomes a bad-hass :) the router is uPNP-enabled so yes, that's a good point.

To SecurityFreak: yes, you are right I should change the admin/password combination, this is not very clever ;)

To Duane: the router is wireless, but I'm connected via LAN as I don't have any wireless device on my PC. I'll try to create the rule, but I'm pretty sure I've done that before. When I was prompting about action to take when the router tried to access my PC, I set a rule and tick the 'always allow' box....

Thanx

Reply to
samuelberthelot

Some times that works and sometimes it doesn't. I always set a custom rule for the PFW to accept the router's Device IP on all ports to stop the PFW solution from whining.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.