Selective blocking

We are running three PCs - 2 on Win 98SE and one XP on a DLink DI604 router. The person running XP wishes to shut his PC off from the internet but leave it open to the home network overnight - he is using Zonealarm as a firewall (as we all are). Is it possible to do this - leave file and printer sharing open but shut down only internet activity?

Reply to
Jackiemum
Loading thread data ...

I don't know about the D-Link 604, but many of the routers like it have the ability to setup a PRIVATE IP on the Internal side - this would mean that you/him would have to enter his computers IP in the Private setting section of the router and that would block it from being able to get out to the net.

Why doesn't he just lock the workstation so that it can't be used by anyone without a password?

Reply to
Leythos

Many thanks for your reply - locking the workstation sounds an easier option - will that block him from internet traffic ? (And how!?) We are newbies at networking - and I know less than nothing about XP.

TIA

Reply to
Jackiemum

The computer is already blocked from getting incoming connection requests from the Internet because it is behind the router. That leaves it able to make outbound connections. Does this person know what outbound connections to the Internet she wants to stop and why she wants to stop them? It sounds to me like she wants to stop something which she either does not understand or which does not exist. To see what connections a PC is making and where it is making them to you can use this

formatting link
you may not find it easy to understand what it tells you.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Locking the workstation only means that the workstation can be used to do any additional work, anything it was doing while it was being used as it was locked will still be running. This means that the computer will still access the internet for Antivirus updates, Windows Updates, and other updates, but as long as it's locked it means that only someone with the password can unlock it (or the administrator with the administrator password) - you need to disable fast-user-switching to properly implement this.

How about telling us what you are trying to accomplish - do you want the machine blocked from the internet or just the single user of the machine so that they can't come back and use or, or do you want to block anyone else from using that persons machine when they leave for the evening?

Reply to
Leythos

I do apologise - I thought I had explained. The XP user wishes to close his pc off from the internet but leave access to it from the other pcs on the home network - at the moment all he can do is block all internet traffic by using the internet block on Zonealarm but this also shuts any traffic out from others on the network.

Reply to
Jackiemum

In the router there is a section that allows you to configure select internal IP addresses as private - meaning that they have NO internet access at all. Those "private" IP addresses can still use the router as a switch to talk with the other computers.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.