PIX, PPTP and Internet access for PPTP users...

Hello,

I have a PIX 525e that is my company's firewall and VPN (for remote site connectivity). Today, I configured it to do PPTP for some of our employees hoping to get away from the MS PPTP server. I noticed today while testing the configuration that I could not get to the Internet when using PPTP. Now, I know I can configure it to do "split tunneling" however, I do not wish to do split tunneling (long story, not my choice).

I read a post from some news group that the PIX will not allow you to route out the same interface the encrypted packet came in on. In other words the "outside" interface is the PPTP tunnel end point and I can not route (the client using PPTP) the packet out into the Internet (also the outside interface). I can only use it to connect to internal PCs.

Is this true? Is there any work around? If I used a router for PPTP could I get around this?

P.S. I know PPTP sucks (that also is not my choice)

Michael

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier
Loading thread data ...

It is true that "PIX will not allow you to route out the same interface the encrypted packet came in on". The only thing you can do is to let the VPN client to use Proxy server.

Reply to
William L. Sun

If I were to use a router would I have the same problem?

Michael

William L. Sun wrote:

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.