PIX 501 dhcp client

I'm setting up a PIX 501 on a home network with a cable modem and cannot obtain a lease for the external connection's dhcp client. I connected the PIX to a switch along with one of the home pcs so I can capture traffic between the firewall and the cable modem. The PIX sends discover packets every 3 seconds, but never receives offer packets from the dhcp server. An ipconfig release/renew on the pc not connected to the firewall leads to a new lease immediately. If I connect the outside interface to the inside, it immediately obtains a lease from the dhcp server on the inside interface. I think I must be missing something obvious.

Reply to
jrandell
Loading thread data ...

Your ISP probably electronically recorded the MAC address of the previous device, and is now refusing to serve the PIX because it has a different MAC. If so, then you ISP technical support can clear the problem up for you.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.