PIX 501 and DHCPD options

I am having problem with my 501 DHCP server. that PIX box responsible to provide IP addresses for wireless clients via a wireless AP and a controller.

dhcpd address 1.0.0.20-1.0.0.35 inside dhcpd lease 3600 dhcpd ping_timeout 750 dhcpd auto_config outside dhcpd enable inside

if I use a Windows DHCP server and add DHCP Vendor Classes option it would work fine.

I couldnt find similar option for PIX, is there any? is there anyway to do more troubleshoot? and get this to work?

Thanks for any help. Rob

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

I have used ASA dhcp server option in conjunction with a WLAN controller. Is the "inside" interface referenced in your configuration in the same vlan as layer 2 dhcp requests will originate from Wireless users, else the DHCP server will never see the request for IP address. There are possiblities for forwarding these protocols from one vlan to another using ip helper-address commands.

Regards

Reply to
jrguent

I have used ASA dhcp server option in conjunction with a WLAN controller. Is the "inside" interface referenced in your configuration in the same vlan as layer 2 dhcp requests will originate from Wireless users, else the DHCP server will never see the request for IP address. There are possiblities for forwarding these protocols from one vlan to another using ip helper-address commands.

Regards

Reply to
Rob

What are your WLAN security settings? I would start by looking at logs on your wireless LAN controller and WLAN security settings and your client PC wireless settings, perhaps you are not matched and you are not getting an IP address for that reason.

Is your "inside" network intended to be wireless LAN only? Do you have any regular wired lan infrastructure behind the PIX inside interface?

I am not sure about your security objectives or the bigger network picture here, but generally I would not recommend combining wireless LAN clients and LAN clients in the same network user VLAN.

Reply to
jrguent

we dont have any security and no wireed LAN/computer connected to inside, it is for public usage with no additional security.

What are your WLAN security settings? I would start by looking at logs on your wireless LAN controller and WLAN security settings and your client PC wireless settings, perhaps you are not matched and you are not getting an IP address for that reason.

Is your "inside" network intended to be wireless LAN only? Do you have any regular wired lan infrastructure behind the PIX inside interface?

I am not sure about your security objectives or the bigger network picture here, but generally I would not recommend combining wireless LAN clients and LAN clients in the same network user VLAN.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.