Outpost: my spyware database has expired.

Hi, I see a red writing in Outpost firewall. It tells me: spyware database has expired. I don't succeed to do the update. Why, please!

Another question, please.

Twenty days ago I used Outpost, then I have unistalled it because every 5 minutes I saw a Outpost page that told me: something is changed, do you like to adjourn the mutation? Many times every day. Then I have unistalled it. Two days ago I have installed it again and I have the same problem. thanks

bye Jones

Reply to
Jones
Loading thread data ...

I don't know how but turn it off.

You should find something else that's less complicated.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I'm not sure if you're using the latest 3.5.xx version, but this used to be an issue in the older 3.0.xx versions. You might make sure you have the latest first, otherwise, it's probably just more Outpost bugs.

This unfortunately is one of the annoyances of personal firewalls when they get overly complex and try to do too much. It's probably just nonsense unless you suspect you have some malware/spyware on your system. I would take Duane's advice and try something simpler. You have to ask yourself, do you really need all this crap anyway...

Reply to
Kerodo

What firewal alternative, please? I'd like a good alternative. thanks

Reply to
Jones

ZoneAlarm is probably the easiest and most popular one.. Kerio 4 is another one that's easy out of the box.

Reply to
Kerodo

Ok, I like to use Kerio 4 but I know it doesn't work fine with P2P like eMule. Is it true? Thanx

bye Jones

Reply to
Jones

This sounds like Component Control, a relatively late addition to the Outpost armoury that seems to cause more trouble than it eliminates. I, too, found that I was either putting up with annoying dialogs every five minutes, or labelling every component as 'shared' even when I wasn't certain that they were, just to get rid of the pop-ups.

Because this was more or less self-defeating, I disabled Component Control altogether (Options | Application | Components). I figured it wasn't a feature of the original firewall when I bought it, so I was losing nothing by turning it off. YMMV.

Reply to
Kevin Reilly

For what purpose?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

To use with eMule.

Reply to
Jones

eMule and Firewalls? Are you sure that you want to combine this two concepts on one machine, which are mutually exclusive? ;-)

Well, of course, with the Windows-Firewall there is no problem... (beside the fact, that what will you receive with eMule and possibly execute afterwards? ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Hello Jones,

I had the same problem with the spyware data base. I searched the Outpost forum without success. Then I used the procedure to ask the Support Team how to solve the problem. Two days later they fixed it on line and since then my spyware data base is updated without problem.

As for your second question I suggest a search on their forum. My solution is to make their component updates shared and since then the annoyance is much less frequent.

In my opinion Outpost is an excellent firewall but not the simplest to use. Their forum is a great help, particularly for rules creating.

I hope this will help.

Rik

"Jones" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Rik

Yes, Kerio 4 is known to have some GUI unresponsiveness with p2p apps and many connections.

Reply to
Kerodo

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Can you explain better, please? Thanks

Reply to
Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.